GIVEN UP!!
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13
GIVEN UP!!
Having been a very loyal supporter of the TT since 1979, and having made the 340/400 mile trip from Cornwall on countless ocassions, i have now decided to "Give up" on the TT, which is undoubtably the greatest pure roadracing circuit in the world, due to the hasstle of trying to book ferries and accomadation which is progressivly getting worse due to the lack of ferries and the hotels/guest houses that are being pulled down to make way for luxury appartments.
I remember during the 1980s, that we would not even think about going to the TT until about January/February time. We would ring up and get the sailings we wanted nearly every time, usually sailing on the Thursday/Friday practice week and returning on one of the early boats on the Saturday/Sunday mornings, and i am sure there were more going to the TT then than what there is now. We rung up just before Christmas, and were told they were fully booked, unless we could sail on the Wednesday during practice week and return sailing on the Tuesday after the races. No thanks, we have jobs, and only have a certain amount of time for holidays, and can't afford another 5 days on the island.
I have had some great and wild times at the TT, especially 1979 - 90.
I am eternally grateful to the late Allan Robinson, for making my dream come true by letting me ride in the Classic Lap of Honour on 5 ocassions aboard a BSA "Rob North" 3.

Will i ever return to the island? Who knows what the future may bring.
01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
RE: GIVEN UP!!
Rocket man, Don't give up. Closing date for payment of pre-booked sailings was Friday. Try again some sailings may now be available again due to people forgoing their bookings. Ring the IOMSPC 01624 645620 tomorrow. Give it one more shot, you know you want to.

alf
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Rocket Man Wrote:Having been a very loyal supporter of the TT since 1979, and having made the 340/400 mile trip from Cornwall on countless ocassions, i have now decided to "Give up" on the TT, which is undoubtably the greatest pure roadracing circuit in the world, due to the hasstle of trying to book ferries and accomadation which is progressivly getting worse due to the lack of ferries and the hotels/guest houses that are being pulled down to make way for luxury appartments.
I remember during the 1980s, that we would not even think about going to the TT until about January/February time. We would ring up and get the sailings we wanted nearly every time, usually sailing on the Thursday/Friday practice week and returning on one of the early boats on the Saturday/Sunday mornings, and i am sure there were more going to the TT then than what there is now. We rung up just before Christmas, and were told they were fully booked, unless we could sail on the Wednesday during practice week and return sailing on the Tuesday after the races. No thanks, we have jobs, and only have a certain amount of time for holidays, and can't afford another 5 days on the island.
I have had some great and wild times at the TT, especially 1979 - 90.
I am eternally grateful to the late Allan Robinson, for making my dream come true by letting me ride in the Classic Lap of Honour on 5 ocassions aboard a BSA "Rob North" 3.

Will i ever return to the island? Who knows what the future may bring.

Can I humbly tell you that you are now a perfect candidate for the Manx GP
There are no ferry problems turn up on the day and get across
You will have no problem getting somwhere to stay from best hotel to homestay plenty of room.
And best of all............ real racing with real road racers in action all classes catered for two strokes on the mountain curcuit. Friendly happy easy going no nonsense.
Go to the Manx GP you will not regret it.
01-03-2008, 10:19 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Cargo, you are beginning to sound like an evangelist... or a salesman with a really good product.Yahoo

However, I agree..Buy NOW, Rocket Man, you'll never regret it!smilie
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
dellrandall Offline

Threads: 4
Hey, don`t tell everyone!!! Then..........
02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Find Reply
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13
I think the real winners out of all this are the Steam Packet Co, by encouraging all those bikers to book up for next years TT when they are on the island for a £10 or £20 deposit, knowing that possibly 20% of them won't be able to make it, due to other reasons, and all those sailings become available, and they keep all those deposits. Nice crafty move SPC.
I have been to the Manx GP. I think it was 1985/6 when all the ferries went on strike for the TT. It was a nice stress free holiday on the island, not just the racing but the Manx 2 day Trial was also on.
The only problem with getting to the Manx, is that i have been organising the annual Martin Jennings Memorial Run on the 2nd Sunday in September for the last 20 years, since Martins death in 1987 when competing in the Manx GP. Last year we had well over 1200 bikes and raised over £4000 for a new Children's Hospice to be built in Cornwall.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4heBrNXLZDs
02-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

What an excellent event. It's a pity in a way that it falls when it does, as, of course, current MGP competitors and stalwarts miss it, and, indeed, may be unaware of it.
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM