TT & MGP not just 4 weeks a year
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
TT & MGP not just 4 weeks a year
Sometimes I read threads that seem to point to there being only problems for supporters of the TT on the Island in the few weeks of TT and MGP practice and race days.

Us Island supporters have to ongo the onslought of 'well look at all the disruption!!!' day after day and week after week from people who want to stop the TT. Its not just the deaths of the unfortunate riders that make it difficult.

So I just thought htose of you who are not 'Islanders', just might like to see what else goes on.
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Mountain-...3930209.jp

Its just highlighting the problem us supporters have. I know it is a part of having a major event, but I can hear the old comeovers again starting to gnash their teeth, or at least reaching for them after the sterident clean up .... smilie
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
31-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
RE: TT & MGP not just 4 weeks a year
Nobody has a clue unless they live heresmilie How can the DOT decide to commence major work on the two main routes into Douglas? Governor's bridge is being re-worked and so is Braddan,causing major disruption to everyday people who work in Douglas.Braddan could have gone ahead,but Govenor's could easily have waited until after the TT,or until Braddan was completed.There are so many other roadworks going on around the island that it is a wonder there are enough staff to distribute around them all.It really makes me wonder how these schemes are planned,and by whom? A bunch of five year olds?smilieSleepy
(This post was last modified: 31-03-2008, 09:11 PM by Hilary M.)
31-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
I do sympathise with Islanders, really I do. But if you've been to Liverpool in the last few years then you'll be familiar with the "Big Dig."

Despite the obvious opportunities for mirth Yahoo the Big Dig, really that's what they call it, roadworks in the City Centre have lasted for nearly 4 years now! The Strand (dual carriageway that serves the IOMSPC berth) has been like a building site for all of that 4 years.

Why? Nothing as glamorous as the TT or MGP of course, just some new shops!
31-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Michael Offline

Threads: 6
It's the same everywhere! In my hometown in Germany the main road traffic needs a few bridges and there are road works on these bridges all at the same time. And we have only 500000 inhabitants. A nice traffic jam every day.
Michael
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Website Find Reply
jasjas Offline

Threads: 12
Why are the DoT describing it as "maintenance work in preparation for the TT"? Presumably verge marker maintenance, patching, catseye replacement and painting bridges and kerbs are mainly for the benefit of the users of open roads; only the temporary signage is specifically to do with the TT (and MGP). Making it sound as though it is just for the TT is going to encourage people to moan about all the "inconveniences" the event causes. Logically then, if it wasn't for the TT the DoT wouldn't carry out any maintenance and the mountain section would eventually be a rough old track again.
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
Firstly Jasjas,I hope there are no catseyes,good grief! I believe that the DoT are having to do more work because of the scathing coroner's report.All defects are being rectified as far as practical,in order to make things as safe as possible.The Island does not need any more bad publicity.This work is carried out annually,but definately more seems to be happening this year.
01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Find Reply
jasjas Offline

Threads: 12
The catseye replacement is referred to in the iom today report mentioned on the first post but I did wonder how I'd never managed to spot them!!!!
01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Find Reply