TT chief marshal resigns
gary the nurse Offline

Threads: 18
TT chief marshal resigns
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/isle_o...340579.stm

TT chief marshal resigns his post

Rider Marc Ramsbotham died at the scene of the crash
The TT chief marshal has resigned in the wake of criticism from the coroner over the 2007 centenary event, in which three people were killed.

Coroner Michael Moyle recorded verdicts of misadventure and noted "considerable failings" in the race organisation.

Roger Hurst, chairman of the TT Marshals' Association for 15 years, said he had no option but to resign.

In his resignation letter, Mr Hurst thanked the "thousands" of people involved in road racing on the island.

Rider Marc Ramsbotham, 34, of Wymondham, Norfolk, died in a crash at the 26th milestone on the final day of the races in June.

Spectators Dean Jacob, 33, of Kidderminster, and Gregory Kenzig, 52, from Australia, were also killed.
10-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

RE: TT chief marshal resigns
not what we wanted to hear, but my opinion is that the TT is falling appart within. Also heard another one of the top marshalls is also about to quit.
10-04-2008, 01:05 PM
gary the nurse Offline

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/TT-chief-...3967965.jp

TT chief marshal Roger Hurst resigns from post

RESIGNATION: Roger Hurst, 72, a marshal for 33 years and chairman of the TT Marshals’ Association for the past 15 years

"Having given lengthy consideration to the remarks made by the coroner after the recent inquest, I have no alternative but to resign from the position of chief marshal for 2008"
Roger HurstCHIEF marshal Roger Hurst has quit – becoming the latest casualty of the fall-out over the inquest into the TT triple tragedy.
Mr Hurst, 72, a marshal for 33 years and chairman of the TT Marshals' Association for the past 15 years, said he had 'no alternative' but to resign from the post after stinging criticism of him by Coroner Michael Moyle.

He had planned to step down as chief marshal at the end of the centenary TT last year but chose to stay on following the tragedy at the 26th Milestone in which a competitor and two spectators were killed.

>> Vote on this issue at iomtoday.co.im/poll

'Having given lengthy consideration to the remarks made by the coroner after the recent inquest, I have no alternative but to resign from the position of chief marshal for 2008,' he said.

He told Isle of Man Newspapers: 'Mistakes were made and not just by the marshals. Unfortunately you can't cover every scenario. You learn from tragedies in life.

'Things were set in motion at the MGP last year – problems highlighted by the coroner have been or are being addressed.

'Huge improvements have been made during recent years, both in marshalling standards and course safety. These improvements will continue to evolve each and every year.'

>> Read a pdf copy of Roger Hurst's resignation letter

>> TT deaths verdict: blistering attack on race management
20 March 2008

Mr Hurst, criticised by the coroner in his inquest report for apparently being 'complacent, self-satisfied and reluctant to accept what was glaringly obvious', paid tribute to the huge band of volunteers who gave up their time freely as marshals – and said he hoped they would continue to do so.

He said: 'The commitment and dedication shown by them is humbling and their support has been tremendous.

'Without continued support from the all-important marshals, those who wish to take part in the ultimate challenge would not be able to chase their dreams.'

Recording verdicts of misadventure last month into the deaths of TT competitor Marc Ramsbotham and spectators Dean Jacob and Gregory Kenzig, the Coroner concluded the lives of the two spectators could have been spared if the 26th Milestone had been properly signed and properly enforced as a prohibited area.

He described as 'untenable' the positions of officials and marshals whose conduct he seriously criticised and urged them to 'do the honourable thing' and have no significant further involvement in future races.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Send your comments to newsviews@newsiom.co.im
10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Find Reply
Wantan Offline

Threads: 3
The timing seems strange to me. I could understand if some people felt that they had to resign their positions immediately after the tragedy, or immediately after the inquest, but why now?
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2008, 01:11 PM by Wantan.)
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=18366

Hurst resigns as Chief Marshal
10/04/2008 12:55:12

Roger Hurst has resigned from his position of Chief Marshal to the T.T..

He's the latest official to quit after stinging criticism from Coroner Michael Moyle at the inquest into the three deaths at the 26th Milestone during last year's Senior race.

Mr Moyle accused Mr Hurst of being "complacent, self-satisfied and reluctant to accept what was glaringly obvious" in his report.

He went on to say the positions of some of the key people involved were now untenable, and that while he had no power to ban or exclude them, they should have no significant participation in future motorcycling events in the Isle of Man.

Roger Hurst's resignation follows that of Chief Sector Marshal Cathy Pullen.

After 33 years as a marshal, Roger Hurst says he had no alternative but to resign after lengthy consideration of the remarks made by the Coroner.

In his letter, he pays tribute to the marshals saying "the commitment and dedication shown by them is humbling and their support has been tremendous......without them those who wish to take part in the ultimate challenge would not be able to chase their dreams".

Mr Hurst declined to be interviewed by Manx Radio saying he will be making no further comment...and now intends to enjoy spending his retirement watching somewhere and enjoying the spectacle.
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Personally, I am so sorry to hear this. I have found Roger to be so supportive of marshalls and I will miss him very much. Enjoy your retirement, Rooger and Jan, and I look forward to seeing you regularly "in civvies"!
10-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
Thanks for your work over the years Roger!
I can fix anything!
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
for roger and jan for all their hard work 52 weeks of the year. not just the racing periods smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
hope you roger find a good safe spot to enjoy the sport you have put your life and soul into for so long. jan put your feet up and enjoy your spare time.
ali x
10-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
When you rely on unpaid part-time officials to give their own time there is inevitably only so much that they will be able to do. Mr Moyle is right in his observation that the performance of the role is important and no less important for an part-timer, in which case the answer is not to slate the guy who has worked long, hard and (IMO) very effectively for 15 years, but to look long and hard at the system and see whether it is reasonably possible for one hardworking part-timer to do all that is being asked in the time available. If there is complacency in the system, it's from higher up, for setting the midranking officials unrealistic targets and then assuming everything can be, and has been, done. As I've said eleswhere on this board, the whole "prohibited area signage" issue is symptomatic of an organisational malaise that runs from smugness and complacency at the top. That's where heads should have rolled, not dedicated volunteers like Roger and Cathy.

I have met Roger several times over the years, when I marshalled at sessions I wasn't riding in, and when introducing friends to marshalling. He had organised a superb set of helpers and consistently co-ordinated a massive task of allocating resources round the longest racetrack in the world. I have great admiration for the man, his dedication and energy and I deplore the coroner's shallow conclusions and cheap snipes.

I will wish Roger all the best in his retirement, thank him warmly for all the great work he has done, and keep my fingers crossed for his successor. It's not a task I would want given that the same individuals are in charge at the very top and ready to let the club officials fall on their swords, and especially a mere 6 weeks before practice starts.
11-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

smilie smilie smilie

Totally agree.
Incidentally, Roger and Jan were working up to 70 hours a week, voluntarily. (Wonder how many paid officials were.)
Roger's mistake was to believe that everyone else was also doing their job properly, just because they said they were.
At least the new procedures double check these things.
Good has come of a terrible accident, but we must stop demonising people who did a very good job in so many respects.
As for Roger being what Mr M said... that was simply not true, and was offensive.
See you somewhere watching, Roger... Jan... plan that next holiday!
11-04-2008, 09:21 AM
twostroker Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
It seems to me that character assassination is not in the job description of the coroner.
It is his duty to find out what happened, why it happened, and if he feels it appropriate, to give recommendations on how the same thing can be avoided in future.
If witnesses feel they are going to be subjected to ridicule or shame, they will not be able to be as open and honest as they might otherwise be.
This man has indulged his own prejudices and maybe some personal issues, and has caused a great deal of avoidable anguish for both victims and those who must wish fervently that they had done or not done things which affected the outcome.
Not a good thing for future inquests and one questions who manages this person.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008, 10:05 AM by twostroker.)
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I felt Roger was NOT one of the people who deserved such negative criticism...

I think Roger has, over the years, done his utmost to make the TT as safe as possible but in my opinion has needed more support than he has been getting of late.

Who has such experience as he has. He is the one man who could have taken this on the chin and bounded back with ways to correct the problems as laid out.

The clowns have eaten the lions !!

Where does it go from here ?
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
16-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
So who is going to have any experience similar to Roger ??

This has been dangerously close to the TT, what's happening then ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
20-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Website Find Reply