Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no?
Totally agree.
I have a lot of reservations about parade laps, including the fact you can't see the bikes, as they often go off in bunches, not in order.
The static shows in Castletown are absolutely wonderful... you can study the bikes, talk to the owners , often hear them running too. Many of theses bikes would not be in the parade laps as they are too rare and precious, or their owners are not able to do it themselves and don't trust anyone else (I wouldn't if I owned one of those exquisite 50s...mmmmmmmmm.)
The Manx Grand Prix is the place to see these machines, and perhaps that aspect could be developed to encourage more MGP visitors.
I have to say that, as a marshal, by the time these events come around, we are usually exhausted and want to go home.
Having to hang about sometimes for a couple of extra hours, while the participants are lined up set off, and have their lap, is just one duty too many.
Most people who come to the TT come for the racing itself, and they wander off when the races are finished, leaving tired marshals and officials, remarkably few stalwarts (none at all at some points) and the participants.
While I don't wish to spoil anyone's fun, some of them should get a licence and race. You don't have to win, but your practice sessions and races make you a better rider all round, and you use the bike for what it was meant for. If it is too precious to race, it is too precious to do parade laps with.
12-05-2008, 03:02 PM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by MV - 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by MV - 01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by MV - 02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by MV - 03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by MV - 03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by thewitch - 12-05-2008, 03:02 PM
RE: Veteran/Vintage/Classic - yes or no? - by thewitch - 13-05-2008, 10:59 AM