Viking crashes into landing stage
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Viking crashes into landing stage
The Viking has been involved in an incident in the River Mersey.

The fast craft was leaving Liverpool this lunchtime when it's believed a gust of wind caused it to hit the pontoon for passenger vehicles.

This caused a tear in the boat's side, 2 metres above the water line.

The Master carried out a full inspection of the damaged area and decided that, in the interests of safety, the vessel cannot sail until the damage has been properly repaired.

No one was injured and passengers were disembarked safely.

The Steam Packet says it's now making urgent arrangements to repair the Viking and to reschedule sailings over the weekend.

Further updates regarding revised timetables will be released in due course.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
01-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Viking crashes into landing stage
Bloomin' 'eck last week it was a lobster pot...wot next?

...and there's more... last week we had an emergency here when a Manx2 plane had a puncture... now... see below!

I think I'll just stay in.smiliesmilie
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Flybe passengers speak of evacuation

PASSENGERS onboard the Flybe flight which made an emergency landing at Isle of Man Airport broke down in tears after being evacuated.

The flight, which was en route to Belfast, was diverted after crew thought they could smell smoke.

Manchester DJ John Hamilton said the captain told passengers they were landing as scheduled at Belfast Airport.

He said: 'We took off and it was quite a good flight. Then some people started complaining about a smell in the air conditioning, saying they could smell electrical burning.'

He said that the crew started to bring out food but 'rushed it straight back in' and the bell started ringing.

The plane then started to drop quickly.

John said: 'The captain said we were coming into George Best Airport and I thought "That's a bit strange". Then we literally flew above the water, really low.

'We landed very quickly, very safely and then they said: "Cabin crew emergency exits. Evacuate, evacuate".'

He added: 'Myself and another lad who was sitting at the front of the plane jumped down the chutes and stood either side and helped people off.'

He said that people calmly got off the plane.

'I think it didn't hit people until they were stood on the grass away from the plane what had actually happened,' he said.

'I saw people break down.'

John said the staff were very organised and handled the incident well.

'I can't complain at all - we were very well looked after,' he said.

Tim Drelon and Anais Pipart, of Amiens, near Paris, said they could smell burning about 10 minutes into the flight but did not know what had happened.

Tim said: 'I thought we had arrived in Belfast - I didn't know it was the Isle of Man.

'The plane landed on the runway and they said we had to get out very quickly because it was an emergency.

Tim said: 'I was a bit scared. I could smell burning and didn't know whether there was a fire.'
01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
ali Offline

Threads: 5
safer to fly by broomsmilie smilie
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008, 11:38 PM by ali.)
01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
ali Wrote:safer to fly by broomsmilie smilie
Oh, my Gawd. Because of Euromanx going 'under' I am travelling both on Manx2 and Flybe. As long as I get from Belfast to IoM to take up babysitting commitments I don't care about the Flybe to Manchester. A relative who is with Bombardier over here, asked me to report back as to how I find the Flybe flight. (apparently they use that type aircraft). If I land safely in Manchester I will be more than happy. Bloody beaut...I shall report....
p.s. Didn't really want to know any of these dramas. lol.
02-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Find Reply