Greenlight TV not filming the MGP
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP
Hi Kenny (and everyone else interested in this subject)

I’m sorry not to have come back to you sooner on your query. A genuine oversight on my part. I don’t always get the chance to follow all of the TT related website forums as much as I’d like and the best way to get in touch with me is always via my work email address – paul.phillips@gov.im

The commercial values of the TT and the Manx Grand Prix are fundamentally different. The TT is able to generate more revenue than the Manx Grand Prix with larger value sponsorships and is heavily supported by the leading manufacturers.

The rights of the respective events are also different. The commercial rights to the TT are owned by the DTL and this extends to the Television rights. Not only are a number of the world’s leading broadcasters prepared to pay us to use the TT footage that we film but there is also a large global market for the official DVD’s. The revenue generated from both of these areas, as well as areas such as the download market, can therefore justify the cost of filming the event as we can cover filming costs and generate a return on the investment.

With regard to the Manx Grand Prix, the event is owned by the Manx Motor Cycle Club, which receives an annual budget from the Isle of Man Governments Department of Tourism and Leisure for running the event. The MMCC decide how that budget is spent. Based on the interest in the Manx Grand Prix it is unfortunately not currently commercially viable to film the event as it does not generate the money to cover the cost of filming and a significant subsidy would therefore be required to cover the shortfall.

In the past Greenlight Television have filmed the MGP and sold it either as part of their own magazine shows and also to Duke Video who have produced a DVD. The DTL have paid a small contribution to the filming costs but as costs for the MGP have risen, this money and further funds have been re-allocated instead into the essential areas associated with running the event.

We don’t have a bottomless pit of money and The Department of Tourism and Leisure is required to fund a number of events throughout the year, not just motor sport events. Furthermore, we have to focus the budget that we do have on the essential areas to ensure that the events take place.

Please come back to me via email if you have any further questions.

Best wishes

Paul Phillips
18-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by T-M - 14-08-2008, 11:49 AM
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by beepee - 14-08-2008, 08:45 PM
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by Tomcat - 15-08-2008, 01:13 PM
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by Kenny - 17-02-2009, 07:32 PM
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by Kenny - 17-02-2009, 10:30 PM
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by Kenny - 20-02-2009, 05:05 PM
RE: Greenlight TV not filming the MGP - by Kenny - 25-02-2009, 08:35 PM