• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Goodall receives Spirit of the Manx award
thewitch
Unregistered

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/John-Good...4419476.jp

By JOHN TURNER
AS a classic competitor in the Manx Grand Prix every year since its inaugural event 25 years ago in 1983, it seems fitting that John Goodall should be this year's winner of the Spirit of the Manx award.
The 67-year-old from Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire will be racing again this year in the junior race on his AJS 350 and in the senior classic on his 500cc Matchless.

With an ever-expanding trophy cabinet containing 40 replicas so far, he says he plans to continue while he remains fit and competitive.

'If my average starts dropping then I don't want to compete any more – I want to be at the sharp end!' said John. 'But I have finished in the first three about 14 times so I'm not out to prove anything.

'I just come here and enjoy myself.'

John said it was a great surprise to be the fourth winner of the Spirit of the Manx award.

'It's terrific, wonderful,' he said. 'Particularly when we know so many local people after coming here for so many years. Only the other day someone in Peel shouted "good picture, John".'

John's picture is on the front cover of this year's MGP programme.

As a machine shop owner John makes many of his own bike components and prides himself on his bikes' preparation and authenticity.

'Many people make changes to the engines like shortening the stroke and widening the bore so it revs more but mine are standard,' he explained.

The bikes use identical Honda frames with Seeley forks and disc brakes. Both have six gears.

'The 500 would manage with five but with six you have the luxury of one for every corner,' he said.

With John this year is, as usual, his wife of 50 years, Rose - 'The voice of sanity who keeps the whole thing together' - and his friend of 40 years, Jack Hobbs.

He and Jack met in the RAF stationed in the far East in 1967 when they used to do grass tracking and motorcross events and John also did road racing in Malaysia and Singapore.

John said: 'There was a good incentive not to slide off into the ditches – there was all sorts of nasty wildlife waiting in there!'

Jack has been a regular helper maintaining the bikes over the years but is quick to play down his role, saying: 'Though anyone less in need of a mechanic than John, it would be hard to imagine.'

A regular Manx competitor from 1972 to 79, John had an enforced break because of the 40 age limit at the time before returning to the first classic event in 1983.

In 1973 he came third in the senior MGP and the next year was third in the junior event. In 1983 he returned to win the classic senior.

More than 40 years' racing has brought John in contact with a rich variety of characters including well-known names like Bob Heath and Phil Read.

'Bob was obsessive about weight-saving,' John recalled. 'He used to run without inner tubes on spoked wheels, using silicone sealant inside the rims.'

'He once rejected a new set of leathers because they were heavier than his old pair and I have even known him refuse to use one of his own visors in favour of a lighter one!'

Phil Read, he remembers as a man who played mind games, once keeping a whole grid waiting at a post-TT Mallory Park meeting before going on to win the race.

'He was controversial but he was without airs or graces and expected no favours, and his reputation was unquestionable,' he said.

John is one of just four people who have competed every year since 1983, the others being Grant Sellars, Bob Simmons and Dave Dock.

He was nominated for the award by fellow competitors Frank Steele and Neil Kent.

'I'm looking forward very much to this year's racing and hope for everyone's sake the weather allows everything to go ahead.

'Getting the award was a huge surprise but I am delighted,' he said.
25-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
RE: JoJohn Goodall receives Spirit of the Manx award
A nicer man could not have won this, i really admire this guy
Baylon
25-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Website Find Reply
renzo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: JoJohn Goodall receives Spirit of the Manx award
Baylon McCaughey Wrote:A nicer man could not have won this, i really admire this guy
Baylon

well done john,this year it will be 38 years since my first manx!
and i still miss it

dennis rapley
26-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Find Reply