Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RACING TODAY - Friday.
cargo
Unregistered

RACING TODAY - Friday.
THERE WILL BE NO RACING TODAY

It is hoped that there will be racing tomorrow and a descision will be made later today at 6pm

PLEASE PLEASE if you can let the TTMA know that you can marshal
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2008, 04:03 PM by ttwebsite.)
29-08-2008, 10:00 AM
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
RE: RACING TODAY
Oh bu**er!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, anyway.

B
....scone out to take photos!
29-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
I really do not beliieeevveee it!! The mountain is clear now!!!smilie
29-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Find Reply
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
I have never ever criticised anyone in charge before and I may not now as I do not know the full course conditions BUT it looks to me as if whoever made that decision to not race today has really dropped one. The conditions over the mountain look perfect. Is the forecast still bad? Are conditions elsewhere bad?
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2008, 01:02 PM by arzed.)
29-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

arzed Wrote:I have never ever criticised anyone in charge before and I may not now as I do not know the full course conditions BUT it looks to me as if whoever made that decision to not race today has really dropped one. The conditions over the mountain look perfect. Is the forecast still bad? Are conditions elsewhere bad?

I think it's a case of dam*ed if they do or dam*ed if they don't.

The weather was awful all morning and has only just cleared a bit up top, but it could easily be pea soup again in 5 mins time.

If only we had a Tardis to be able to tell what the fickle Manx weather is going to do, but sadly we ain't got one and neither do the powers-that-be.

Ronaldsway Met Office does a very good job forcasting the weather, but even they are not infallible - they are human beings like the rest of us here.

I think the organisers had / have a very difficult job to do. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the decision to postpone has been made and there's nothing we can do now to change it.

On the other hand, let's all hope that we get a decent window of clear weather AND sufficient marshals to be able to have racing to go ahead tomorrow.

Boakesey
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2008, 01:14 PM by boakesey.)
29-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

It would appear that we MAY have racing today after all.
An effort is being made to TRY and run the Senior tonight.

We still need marshals for tomorrow and for tonight
29-08-2008, 01:43 PM
boakesey Away

cargo Wrote:It would appear that we MAY have racing today after all.
An effort is being made to TRY and run the Senior tonight.
We still need marshals for tomorrow and for tonight

Tricky - for a number of reasons.

The first one that springs to mind is that all the marshals etc have been told there's nothing happening today and many may have decided to go out and do other things instead. They may not be contactable in order to arrange sufficient coverage and - dare I say it? - may not appreciate the change of arrangements at this late stage.

Secondly, I can just picture our friendly (mainly office,) workers in Douglas, (who are no doubt pleased that there'll be no disruption to their journeys home tonight,) hearing that the roads will, after all, be closing....
I can just imagine the response on certain websites etc and the "Moaning Line" will have a field day on Sunday. Let's not go there, please.....

I sincerely hope that the PTB are thinking of closing the roads after the main rush hour, to minimise this. I also hope that the weather allows this to happen, but who knows?

I would LOVE racing to go ahead & will personally stop what I'm doing & get out onto the course as soon as I get confirmation, but I fear that it won't be possible, so I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be marshalling tomorrow and not photographing today.

Having said that, it's the riders etc who get my biggest sympathy - you guys must go through H*ll with it being on, then off, then on again...

Have a good ride, whatever day it is, and come back safe.

Boakesey
29-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

... oh & I forgot to mention the fact that some of the marshals / riders etc may even have gone to the pub and be unable to participate as a result of this.

What a shame.
29-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Find Reply
mikec Offline

Threads: 6
Thanks boakesey,
For stating what ive been thinking since i read this 30 minutes ago,
Its a no brainer, For any racing to go ahead today,
Unless everybody has been tested for drink,,Not only the Riders but Marshalls as well,
Plus the Race Officials as well,
Bearing in mind that i have been in this situation before,
Whereby a race is called off, You go & chill out catch up with a bite to eat, over a beer,,

It makes me wonder if Mr Hanson would have called todays racing off, as soon as the new CoC has done today, ( No axe to grind against him at all)

Has anybody else got any opinions on this?
As this is a forum for debate, And being able to express your own opinions,
I look forward to hearing any comments

Regards
Mike
29-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Find Reply
roadracer Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Total cock-up this! First I heard was a call from a mate half-hour ago, I'm now frantically trying to track down my pit-crew! I didn't even get a call from the organisers to warn me. I'm now leaving home in Ramsey to try and get everything organised ie scrutineering etc (again) just in case the race runs, though I can't see how it can at this notice-judging by my experience there may even still be riders who don't know yet!!!
29-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Find Reply
ALP Offline

Threads: 2
UPDATE: Roads will close at 6pm this evening (Friday) for a 3 lap Senior Race starting at 6:45pm followed by the Classic Masters Parade.

Not sure what the timetable is for tomorrow.
29-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Find Reply