Proposed changes to the MGP programme
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme
Some good ideas... and most I can say "Yes" to.

I will repeat a few things mentioned...

First, there are two important goals for any race type event... numbers of people (both racers and spectators) and Safety. The numbers of people produce the money...

But, I would like to talk Safety. even "if" this may not be the best spot.. it is very important. There are some safety rules already in place, but need to be re-visited. Oil containment.. needs to be better defined, and should add absorbment pads to the rules. And yes ALL bikes, even the Classics should have containment and the pads. The pads are cheap..! They cost me about 1 £ for two of them. I run two at all times..! We have all seen both modern and classics drop oil, and it is my opinion that the pads will greatly reduce oil on the road. Seems like a catch can is not effective in the turns, and this is where the pads can be a big improvement. This would also improve the racing conditions when there is less oil to race around or clean up..!! I do not see any negative here... but yes some classic bikes may need some exhaust changes to fit a pan of some sort on them. Here in the states we laugh, as some guys use a baking pan... Now, as I have stated, I have no technical data that says how effective this would be, but some simple testing can be done to verify. It will be about a month of more before my bike gets home, and I promised to do a home test... not that scientiffic, but it will hopefully give me some peace of mind.

OK, back to the main topic.... I wonder why the Newcomer Race is down on entries..? Eliminating the race does not fix anything... less new racers sooner or later means less entries... So, someone needs to find out why less people want to join the fold.. That said, I have seen some years where the fast one or two bikes, run away and hide from the rest... and only one or two racers get a replica. Perhaps, just for this race, a change in that would encourage more people.?? Keep in mind newcomers that have "lived" on or at the IOM for years always seem to have an advantage over racers that have little IOM exposure. Perhaps run the Newcomers on Saturday..? Then have a short..? practice session afterwards, weather permitting. This would open up a slot on Monday for a "neo - classic" event. IF a neo-classic race was run, then I would also suggest that the cut off year for the Classics be moved down to like 1970, as this would put bikes like the Paton in to the neo-classic and eliminate those "complaints" from the Classic crowd. And it would open up the field in the Neo Classic and make that an awesome event..! But, as there is a big range in speeds between the Neo Classics, I would also suggest there be two races, based somewhat like a lightweight and heavyweight class distinction. Remember the goal is to increase the number of bikes competing, not reduce them...! (thus increasing the number of tourists to the Isle...).

I would not like to have the Sr Classic on Friday... as others have stated, Friday could mean Saturday or no day... I do like the idea of moving the Friday races (what ever they are) to Thursday, and have Friday and Saturday as back ups. Remember that some or many..? of the Senior guys went home and missed racing on Saturday, that also needs to be fixed... and moving the race up a day, may do it. Also remember that last year, there was no Senior race...do that a few more times, and the Senior class will diminish for sure.. It costs far tooooooo much to get a bike to the IOM and pay all the expenses to not race.

Hope I did not bore anyone...

Cheers..!!!

Ron - see you next year..! (if I get the funding).
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by Gstarron - 04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 08-09-2008, 09:11 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 17-09-2008, 02:39 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 17-09-2008, 10:37 PM