Leading British Superstock rider Steve Mercer to make TT debut
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Leading British Superstock rider Steve Mercer to make TT debut
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

Leading British Superstock Championship rider Steve Mercer will make his debut at the Isle of Man TT Races in 2009.

The 27-year old is a well established rider in the British Championship paddock and having dominated the 2006 MRO Superstock Championship, he moved into the British Championship proper in 2007. With a career best of 6th at Snetterton, the Maidstone rider ended his debut year in a fine 16th overall.

For 2008, he made the move into the British Superbike Championship and was one of the major contenders for the Privateers Cup, especially as he took a first and a third in the opening three races. However, budget constraints meant he had to drop back to the Superstock series although he did deputise for the injured Stuart Easton on the MSS Kawasaki, again impressing greatly with two top twelve finishes at Knockhill.

For the second half of 2008, he returned to the British Superbike series and finished the year on a positive note with a strong ninth place at the final round at Brands Hatch.

Part of the recent trip to the Isle of Man that saw some 16 riders from the various British Championships visit the Island, Steve will get his first taste of pure road racing at the forthcoming Macau Grand Prix, where he will ride for former TT winners Iain Duffus and Brian Morrison.

Speaking about his TT debut Mercer said:

“The TT was not in my career plans until recently but the more I’ve thought about it the more I want to do it. The visit to the Island in August was ideal preparation and the assistance given by Richard Quayle and John Barton was invaluable. I was really impressed with what I saw and we were given a great insight into the Mountain Course whilst we were also able to see some of the Manx GP, which was a real highlight. I watched at the bottom of Bray Hill and when the first bike came through, I thought to myself ‘I want some of that!’”

“Now I have the opportunity to come to the event, I am very excited and am working hard on learning the circuit. I’ve been studying DVD footage and have several trips planned to continue learning the circuit so I’m very excited about making my debut next year. Racing at Macau in November will give me my first taste of real road racing and I’ll be tapping into the TT expertise of Iain and Brian whilst I’m there.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
30-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Leading British Superstock rider Steve Mercer to make TT debut
Why the TT?

Why doesn't he do the Manx GP first??

Why do the "powers that be" persist in persuading newcomers to go straight to the TT???
30-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3
I recently sent an email to Paul Phillips with a few questions I had regarding media accreditation at the MGP. His reply was dismissive to say the least. This confirms my suspicions that he is not particularly interested in the Manx other than to show prospective "TT" newcomers around on a jolly up.

As good a rider Steve Mercer is, I don't think it is wise to go straight into the TT. Think along the lines of Bob Collins.

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
30-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Website Find Reply
moog1 Offline

Threads: 7
Quote:I recently sent an email to Paul Phillips with a few questions I had regarding media accreditation at the MGP. His reply was dismissive to say the least. This confirms my suspicions that he is not particularly interested in the Manx other than to show prospective "TT" newcomers around on a jolly up.

As good a rider Steve Mercer is, I don't think it is wise to go straight into the TT. Think along the lines of Bob Collins.

Rusty
What are the qualification criteria these days, is he overqualified for the Manx? What was the problem with Bob Collins?
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2008, 12:34 PM by Malcolm.)
31-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3
moog1 Wrote:[quote=Sport-Pics]
I recently sent an email to Paul Phillips with a few questions I had regarding media accreditation at the MGP. His reply was dismissive to say the least. This confirms my suspicions that he is not particularly interested in the Manx other than to show prospective "TT" newcomers around on a jolly up.

Rusty
[/What are the qualification criteria these days, is he overqualified for the Manx? What was the problem with Bob Collins?]

Nothing wrong with Bob Collins at all. At the time he was, Like Mercer, a leading Superstock rider and went to the TT without the benefit of doing the Manx. His TT debut didn't really do him justice and I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Steve Mercer.

It just seems to me that talented riders are targeted to go straight into the TT without doing the MGP which I feel shouldn't happen (my opinion)

It get the feeling that the MGP dosen't count for anything anymore.

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
31-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Website Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
larryd Wrote:Why the TT?

Why doesn't he do the Manx GP first??

Why do the "powers that be" persist in persuading newcomers to go straight to the TT???
At the TT Ian Guss Scott told me that he wished that he had done the Manx fisrt, Guss as good as he was new in practice week that the TT demanded to much to take in to soon, this rider recrutment done by the DTL is crazy in some ways dangerous, if a rider wants to race on the mountain course he should do so because he really wants to and should not be at the direction of anyone from the DTL inviting riders to consider doing the TT, Yes they should do the Manx first but if these riders think that they are to good for the Manx then let them get on with it on their own back.
31-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Which is more pressure - a have to win Manx or a run at your own pace TT?

Sam
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Sam Pato Wrote:Which is more pressure - a have to win Manx or a run at your own pace TT?

Sam

Sam, where does this " a have to win Manx" come from??

In real terms, I suspect that there's always less pressure at the Manx - that's why it's such a good meeting.
02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
larryd Wrote:
Sam Pato Wrote:Which is more pressure - a have to win Manx or a run at your own pace TT?

Sam

Sam, where does this " a have to win Manx" come from??

In real terms, I suspect that there's always less pressure at the Manx - that's why it's such a good meeting.

G'day Larry,

It was something I picked up from a previous (and high profile) "why not the Manx" candidate who was apparently of the opinion that a manx win would have been so much expected that it was much preferable to go to the TT and be part of the pack.

From memory - all of those who have fronted up from the recruitment program have gone great guns. Bob Collins being the notable exception - but still no embarassment.

Cheers

Sam
02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Thanks for that Sam - although I suspect that he was the exception!!
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Find Reply