My father H.J.Bacon 1920's -1940's TT Racer?
G.F.Bacon Offline

Threads: 3
My father H.J.Bacon 1920's -1940's TT Racer?
I am the son of H.J.Bacon(Bert), a 1920s -1940s TT rider, and am gathering material about his 1920's to 1950's motoring. My father spent the family fortune on racing motorbikes and cars, both at the TT and Brooklands.I have a number of medals and photos etc., including his Bmzee (British Motor Cycle Club) gold star ,1930 , the first 100mph average for a 500cc class, (BSA Gold Star) , I believe?

I have seen photos of him at the TT with a number 31 on a Sunbeam? bike and would be grateful if you anyone has any info on good o'l Bertie?

He rode in the Junior Amateur TT in the 20's ,I think, as well as the Senior TT later in the 30's .

He rode his last TT under the name B.Shaw at the age of 49 in the late 40s and came 8th , I believe.

If anyone else has any more info please email.... bertie@camdenmarket.co.uk
Thanks.... Gra ham Bacon(my father had a sense of humor!)
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2009, 09:29 PM by G.F.Bacon.)
27-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Find Reply
RichieRich Offline

Threads: 4
RE: My father H.J.Bacon 1920's -1940's TT Racer?
Hi Graham, I've just spotted your post and also the one you posted on my original '1930's TT Memorabilia' posting.
I do indeed have HJ Bacon's TT 'crossbelt' number 34, white numbers on a red background, from I am certain, the 1931 Senior TT. My Nan used to work for the Bacon family at Great Hallingbury, near Bishops Stortford in Hertfordshire after the war. Bert gave the number to my Nan, who gave it to me when I was a boy in the 1960's. I'd love to have a chat with you sometime, I'll email you at the address you gave in your post.
Cheers,
Richard
28-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Find Reply
G.F.Bacon Offline

Since joining the TT Forum, a number of members have contacted me with information about Bert Bacons' motoring career .

Thank you RichieRich , Sean Kelly, Bill Snelling et al.

On the 31st of May the BBC's Antiques Roadshow will be at BROOKLANDS and I am taking this, information gathered, along with Berts' 2 Bemsee Gold Stars, some 16mm footage of early 1929/30s' Motoring,pictures and other motoring memorabilia.

The British Motor Cycle Racing Club, who awarded the Gold Stars for lapping Brooklands banked racing track , at over 100mph, celebrated its' Centenary last month and initially was called The Brooklands Motor Cycle Racing Club.The Museum at Brooklands has a unique Collection of 1907-1930's early motor racing, working machines and Trophies from this Age of Speed and Endurance record setting and breaking.

All entries of antiques and collectables are welcome on the 31st of May @ Brooklands , in Weybridge , Surrey,for the Antique Roadshow ....who can be contacted at.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beona...ques.shtml

Thanks..........
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2009, 02:18 PM by G.F.Bacon.)
11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
For everyone else, his TT performances as follows:

1928 Amateur Junior TT DNF rode a Chater Lea
1928 Amateur Senior TT DNF Norton
1929 Amateur Senior TT DNF Sunbeam
1929 Senior TT 11th Sunbeam 3.59.26.0 at 66.19 mph
1930 Senior TT 11th Sunbeam
1931 Junior TT DNF Velo
1931 Senior TT DNF Velo
1947 Clubmans Senior TT 9th Norton
Please correct these if they are wrong. The highlight of his career on the Mountain must have been his Fastest Lap award in the 1929 Amateur Senior TT of 32 min 21 sec. 69.99MPH
(Source), http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/g.../part5.htm

You never know but your father could appear in this video: http://www.blinkx.com/videos/1929+Isle+of+Man+TT+Races

Of course the Amateur TT or Manx Amateur Road Race Championship (MARRC), is now the MGP since 1930. The amateur name was dropped but the rules to define an amateur in those days were as draconian and ridiculous as the Ghersi spark plug rule. But that is another story!

As a footnote here it is interesting that our friends in the ACU prompted this news item in The Examiner January 1930:
“Sensation caused in motor-cycling world by decision of the Auto, Cycle Union to refuse a permit to the Manx Motor Cycle Club to hold the Amateur T.T. races in the following September"

Obviously the demi-gods were not successful as the race went ahead as normal.
For me a far more hilariously funny news item appeared in September of the same year

"Two baboons escaped from their show cages on Onchan Head. One was shot on the pleasure ground, and the other in a bedroom in the Douglas Bray Hotel"
Rough justice in those days.
[Image: baboon.jpg]
Get me to Rugby quick!!
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2009, 03:02 AM by Don Simons.)
14-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Find Reply
G.F.Bacon Offline

Thanks very much, Don Simons, for that very complete information on my fathers', H.J.Bacon(Bert), TT Manx racing career.
In 1947 he was well over 50 years old and he practiced for this TT, by motor cycling from Harrow to Brighton , before breakfast.He rode under the name B.Shaw, I believe,so as not to cause a family rift and it has been referred to as his "Swansong" TT.
I am taking this information gathered, from yourselves and others, along with his medals etc. to the Antiques Roadshow at Brooklands on the 31st May, as he was a gold star holder and had put up an endurance/speed Trophy in the 1930's with the Bemsee club.(British/Brooklands motor Cycle Racing Club).He was also a member of the Motor Cycle Club(MCC) and was a founding member the West Middlesex Motor Cycle Club.
I have a number of photos and even some 16mm of his motoring exploits and will be sharing this soon, including myself as a baby sat on the great Stanley Woods knee!
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2009, 09:31 PM by G.F.Bacon.)
21-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Find Reply
G.F.Bacon Offline

[Image: IMG_1163-1.jpg]

H.J.Bacons' Sunbeam that got the 69.99 fastest lap in the 1929 TT.....
Thanks again to Sean Kelly and others on this forum.....
21-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Find Reply
tinminer Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(21-05-2009, 08:55 PM)G.F.Bacon Wrote: Thanks very much, Don Simons, for that very complete information on my fathers', H.J.Bacon(Bert), TT Manx racing career.
In 1947 he was well over 50 years old and he practiced for this TT, by motor cycling from Harrow to Brighton , before breakfast.He rode under the name B.Shaw, I believe,so as not to cause a family rift and it has been referred to as his "Swansong" TT.
I am taking this information gathered, from yourselves and others, along with his medals etc. to the Antiques Roadshow at Brooklands on the 31st May, as he was a gold star holder and had put up an endurance/speed Trophy in the 1930's with the Bemsee club.(British/Brooklands motor Cycle Racing Club).He was also a member of the Motor Cycle Club(MCC) and was a founding member the West Middlesex Motor Cycle Club.
I have a number of photos and even some 16mm of his motoring exploits and will be sharing this soon, including myself as a baby sat on the great Stanley Woods knee!

Bert was my grandmother's cousin and I have a photo of him on his road bike, an Ariel. I also have quite a few family photos. None of my family were aware that Bert had a son so if Graham would like to contact me I would be happy to share the phots with him......ijwright@mowi.co.uk
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2010, 09:37 AM by tinminer.)
30-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Find Reply