Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John McGuinness Strikes First New IOM 50p Coin Commemorating Honda's 50th Anniversary
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
John McGuinness Strikes First New IOM 50p Coin Commemorating Honda's 50th Anniversary
Honda (UK) and the Isle of Man Treasury have officially launched a special 50 pence circulatory coin to commemorate Honda's 50th anniversary of world championship racing - with the first coin struck by Honda road racer and 14-times TT winner, John McGuinness.

[Image: mcgmint.gif]

Joined by Isle of Man Treasury Member, Alex Downie MLC, at Pobjoy Mint - Europe's largest private Mint - John McGuinness was shown the fascinating process of producing both circulatory and commemorative (non currency) coins, before pressing the button to strike the first 50 pence Honda anniversary coin and set the ball rolling for the mass circulation coin production.

This new coin - available on the Isle of Man from the start of this year's TT on 1 June - depicts Honda's multi winning TT rider John McGuinness on a CBR1000RR Fireblade from his record breaking lap in 2007, above the dates 1959 - 2009. The design also contains the 2009 Isle of Man TT logo as well as the Honda Wing logo, highlighting the close association between the two organisations.

Commenting on his striking of the first coin, John commented, "I didn't know really what to expect but learning all about the production process of different coins was really interesting and there's so much more to it than you'd ever imagine. We all handle coins every day and have no idea or thought of what's involved. Only a few people, including the Queen, have had the experience of striking the first of a new circulatory coin so I feel quite privileged and thank Honda (UK), the Isle of Man Treasury and Pobjoy for inviting me to do this."

Isle of Man Treasury Member, Alex Downie MLC, said, "It was a great pleasure for me to be present at the striking of the first 50 pence Isle of Man coin with John. This unique coin represents Hondas 50th anniversary of motorcycle racing at the Isle of Man and has been produced by the Treasury as a tribute to the outstanding achievements by Honda and to their continued commitment to the greatest motorcycle races in the world. As a young motorcycle enthusiast I remember the Honda team's first visit to the Island and their total commitment to develop and build machines that could win the TT. 50 years on, Honda is still at its best and we hope will continue to make racing history at this year's TT races"

The coins are manufactured to the highest quality and the silver versions (production of 5,000) are struck four times to produce a beautiful mirror-finish background with the design sculpted in striking relief. The reverse of the fifty pence coin bears the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The mass production circulatory coin is produced in cupro nickel diamond finish.

Although wishing to concentrate all efforts on racing activities in order to continue Honda's successful history at the TT, Honda (UK) will be celebrating its 2009 TT campaign with a range of activities and items to include:
  • A set of commemorative stamps issued by the Isle of Man Post Office. Each stamp features one legendary rider spanning the decades of Honda's competition at the TT, to include Naomi Taniguchi (50s), Mike Hailwood (60s), Alex George (70s), Joey Dunlop (80s), Steve Hislop (90s) and current 14-times TT winner John McGuinness (00s)

• The release of a previously unpublished image of the original 1959 Isle of Man TT team, alongside a 2009 modern day re-enactment

• A commemorative plaque which will be unveiled on Sunday 7 June at the site of Honda's original TT team's garage in Onchan (the site of the old Nursery Hotel)

• A stylish official anniversary book which will be published this July following the TT, to ensure that all stories and results from Honda's full fifty years of racing are included

• An anniversary exhibition entitled ‘Honda: The Golden Age 1959-1967', kindly hosted by the Isle of Man Government and Manx National Heritage which runs from the end of May until September 2009

• An open event at Isle of Man Honda Motorcycles from 12-5pm on ‘Mad Sunday', 7 June, providing Honda owners, motorcycle enthusiasts, Island visitors and residents the opportunity to meet Honda's stars of past and present

Honda (UK)'s HM Plant Honda team - with solo race aces John McGuinness and Steve Plater and winning sidecar duo Nick Crowe and Mark Cox - can be seen in action around the 37.75 mile mountain course between 30 May and 13 June, on their class-leading CBR1000RR Fireblades in the Superbike and Superstock classes, CBR600RR in the Supersport class and Honda powered three-wheeler in the Sidecar TT.

For further information about Honda's 50th anniversary of world championship racing or its great range of scooters and motorcycles, genuine parts, accessories and forthcoming events, call 0845 200 8000, visit www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles or visit your local dealer who can be found using the ‘Dealer Search' facility within the motorcycles area of www.honda.co.uk
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
29-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Website Find Reply