TT 09 Wheres the party?
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
RE: TT 09 Wheres the party?
mick Wrote:All you guys may be very interested in this artice on the Isle of Man Newspapers Website with comments from Martin Brunnschweiler (Bushys Owner) and a lot of feedback from residents and visitors.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Bushy39s-...5357729.jp
Fascinating. And to think these postings are mainly from Locals. For me, the event is the racing and friendship and sight seeing BUT I love mixing with folk on the Prom and to soak up the atmosphere. My Australian mate is now re-considering his visit next year. No doubt he will be one of many. I am so sad for everyone who went this year and has gone home bitterly disappointed. IMO The TT is (was) THE greatest motorcycle show on earth.
13-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Find Reply
Michael Offline

Threads: 6
TT 2009 was excellent racing!! But the rest?? I'm one of the lads who staied since 28 years by the "Gruseleck". Why should I go down to Douglas in the evening? Only for a beer at the beer tent? Costs are 4.20 for the bus and 6.40 for two pints. For 10.60 I get 15 cans of beer in the COOP and can sit before my tent in the evening sun and then fall down in my sleeping bag. The reason for to go to the TT are the races, the island and the atmosphere. I went next month to the German MotoGp at the Sachsenring. There is a 3 days unbroken party and good races. I think TT without any party will have no future. I staied 12 days on the island an will not only 12 days see races. And I have to pay for two ferries! But I'm just counting the days until 2010.
Michael
17-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
I fully agree with you Michael.
"Life is what you make it."
(Das Leben ist, was Sie es bilden.)
By all means have some EVENTS and some fun on the Prom, but if we have to be ENTERTAINED 24/7 apart from the practice and racing then perhaps we are seriously lacking in imagination.
Can you believe some people actually survive living on the IOM for the whole year?
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
17-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Rich mentioned the tolerance of the Manx Police. I think that was one of the memories I took back home after my first visit. Apart from one or two wheelies outside the Cowes Hotel on Phillip Island many years ago where the local Police would turn a 'blind eye' we would never have been allowed to get away with what some people did along the IoM Prom. Sadly, the police are not so friendly during events now on Phillip Island (probably from stations out of town). Sign of the times I suppose.
I am optimistic about the TT 2010. I am sure lessons have been learned about the lack of atmosphere which most people seemed concerned about.
18-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
(17-06-2009, 11:36 PM)Don Simons Wrote: I fully agree with you Michael.
"Life is what you make it."
(Das Leben ist, was Sie es bilden.)
By all means have some EVENTS and some fun on the Prom, but if we have to be ENTERTAINED 24/7 apart from the practice and racing then perhaps we are seriously lacking in imagination.
Can you believe some people actually survive living on the IOM for the whole year?

I was at the TT for ths first time in 7 years and the racing was the best I've ever seen - stunning.

The Prom at Douglas used to be vibrant and exciting and a great place to wander around for a great and unique atmsophere. Lots happening without the slightest hint of bother - a real credit to the biking faternity. This year is was dead - nothing to entertain anyone.

The TT used to be a big week long party and that was part of the attraction. If it only has the racing - it will not last. No fans = no races.

Hope they can do for the entertainment what they did for the racing and get it back to speed.

The other thing that was pretty obvious to me was that the demographic has changed - everywhere I went middle aged blokes like myself were the most common age group. I don't remeber it being like that. IMO if young blokes are to start coming then it'll take more than just the racing to attract them away from the Motogp circus.

Sam
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM by Sam Pato.)
10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Sam,
Long time no hear.
I think the organisers will have learned from this year that something will have to be done to attract new visitors and to keep the regulars happy.
10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Find Reply