Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009 - Updated With Full Race Reports
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009 - Updated With Full Race Reports
Got a friend trying to keep an eye on things over on the Island as has friends racing.
Does anyone know where i can find details of the race schedule for the coming week please ?
I know that manx radio is covering practise etc.
All help appreciated.
thanks,
Stella
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2009, 03:45 PM by Malcolm.)
13-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Southern 100 race schudule
Steam Packet Southern 100 Meeting - 13th - 16th July, 2009

Tentative Programme

Monday 13th July
Evening Practice - 6.05pm - 9.40pm

Tuesday 14th July
Evening Practice followed by Races 1 & 2 - 6.05pm - 9.40pm

Wednesday 15th July
Evening Races 3 - 6 - 6.05 - 9.40pm

Thursday 16th July
Racing from 10.00am

Lunch Break

Racing 1.15pm - 5.00pm

Castletown Square from 7.30pm for the Prize Presentation
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
13-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Thankyou and appreciated will forward reply to my friend.
Presuming southern 100 manx radio coverage is availiable from tomorrow only as i noticed posted elsewhere ?
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2009, 06:52 PM by Stella.)
13-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009 - Updated With Reports
Monday 13th July

Due to the prevailing weather conditions prior to roads closing around the 4.25-mile Billown Circuit, the Clerk of the Course made the decision that the opening practice session of the Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races would go ahead and be untimed, whilst conditions permitted.

Timed practice will now take place prior to racing commencing on Tuesday evening.

The actual timetable of events for Tuesday and Wednesday evenings along with Championship Day on Thursday will be announced on Tuesday afternoon.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2009, 10:15 PM by Malcolm.)
13-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Read this on realroadracing forum.

Tonight’s (Tuesday) Steam Packet Southern 100 action has been slightly changed.

Riders are being asked to sign-in at 5pm to collect a revised schedule.

Roads around the Billown circuit will still close at 6.05pm as planned and re-open at 9.40pm.

However, after timed practice sessions, there will only be two races this evening instead of three. The third race will now form part of Wednesday evening's programme.

Monday night’s untimed session was affected by the inclement weather.
14-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009
Tuesday Evening 14th July 2009

With weather conditions much improved from the previous evenings inclement conditions competitors concentrated on qualifying for the racing ahead.

There were two incidents during the qualifying periods. Lincolnshire rider Philip Creasey came off his machine at Iron Gate and was airmed to Nobles for examination.

In the Sidecar session Philip Dongworth and his passenger Stu Castles were also airmed to Nobles after an incident at Ballanorris with suspected serious injuries.

Due to the delays in clearing the course after the second sidecar incident the both of the two scheduled races were run over reduced distances.
The opening race for 1000cc and 600cc machines was run over a shortened distance of six laps, whilst the 125cc / 400cc race was run over four laps.

The combined Superbike / Supersport race produced a start to finish tussle between Ryan Farquhar and Guy Martin. The Ulsterman leading on the first of the six laps, then the Lincolnshireman for two, before Farquhar was back in front. Then Martin led the charging pack for another two laps with Farquhar leading the pair over the all important finish line.
On the fourth lap Martin dropped to third, and then on the fifth lap Farquhar dropped to third. Manxman Conor Cummins finally took the last podium spot.
Michael Dunlop on the Uel Duncan Honda was fourth throughout, likewise Ian Lougher maintained fifth for the full six lap distance, whilst James McBride was initially sixth on the first lap, then Mark Buckley took over for a lap before Mark Parrott took on the position on the third lap and held it till the chequered flag.

Roy Richardson won the 600cc class with Victor Gilmore second and Chris Palmer third.

In the combined 125cc / 400cc race over a shortened distance of three laps, Roy Richardson took the laurel wreath in the 400cc class, followed by Andy Cowan and Mark Parrett.

The Ultra Lightweight race is subject of a protest and the outcome will be published later.

Corlett's Senior Solo Founders 600 & 1000cc Classes ~ Race 4 Results
(This post was last modified: 14-07-2009, 11:08 PM by Malcolm.)
14-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Website Find Reply
LKE Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(14-07-2009, 11:01 PM)Malcolm Wrote: Tuesday Evening 14th July 2009

With weather conditions much improved from the previous evenings inclement conditions competitors concentrated on qualifying for the racing ahead.

There were two incidents during the qualifying periods. Lincolnshire rider Philip Creasey came off his machine at Iron Gate and was airmed to Nobles for examination.

In the Sidecar session Philip Dongworth and his passenger Stu Castles were also airmed to Nobles after an incident at Ballanorris with suspected serious injuries.

Due to the delays in clearing the course after the second sidecar incident the both of the two scheduled races were run over reduced distances.
The opening race for 1000cc and 600cc machines was run over a shortened distance of six laps, whilst the 125cc / 400cc race was run over four laps.

The combined Superbike / Supersport race produced a start to finish tussle between Ryan Farquhar and Guy Martin. The Ulsterman leading on the first of the six laps, then the Lincolnshireman for two, before Farquhar was back in front. Then Martin led the charging pack for another two laps with Farquhar leading the pair over the all important finish line.
On the fourth lap Martin dropped to third, and then on the fifth lap Farquhar dropped to third. Manxman Conor Cummins finally took the last podium spot.
Michael Dunlop on the Uel Duncan Honda was fourth throughout, likewise Ian Lougher maintained fifth for the full six lap distance, whilst James McBride was initially sixth on the first lap, then Mark Buckley took over for a lap before Mark Parrott took on the position on the third lap and held it till the chequered flag.

Roy Richardson won the 600cc class with Victor Gilmore second and Chris Palmer third.

In the combined 125cc / 400cc race over a shortened distance of three laps, Roy Richardson took the laurel wreath in the 400cc class, followed by Andy Cowan and Mark Parrett.

The Ultra Lightweight race is subject of a protest and the outcome will be published later.

Corlett's Senior Solo Founders 600 & 1000cc Classes ~ Race 4 Results

Thank you for keeping us informed about what is happening at the S100.

Leigh
15-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

MANX RADIO COVERAGE

Manx Radio will be providing full commentary this evening on its FM frequencies, and there are other listening options.

The commentary will also be available at manxradio.com, and on 100.6FM, a service which has been set up specially for the area around the circuit.

A full evening of racing is scheduled for tonight, and the meeting will reach a climax with further races on Thursday morning and afternoon.

100.6 FM will be the main source of commentary all day on Thursday and the commentary will also be broadcast on our AM frequency - 1368 -today and tomorrow.
15-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: s100hdr.jpg]

Sidecar Incident – Tuesday 14th July 2009

The organisers of the Southern 100 International Road Races regret to announce that following an incident at Ballanorris during last night’s Sidecar Qualifying session, Philip Dongworth sustained injuries which have since proved fatal.

Mr Dongworth, 43, from Stamford Bridge, Worcester was an experienced competitor who had previously raced on the Billown Course.

Southern 100 MCRC Ltd, are in the process of carrying out a full investigation into the circumstances of the tragic incident.

The organisers express their deepest sympathy with his wife, family and friends at the very sad time.
15-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

15-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

(This post was last modified: 15-07-2009, 10:12 PM by Malcolm.)
15-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009 - Updated With Reports
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2009, 03:40 PM by Malcolm.)
16-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009 - Updated With Full Race Reports
16-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races 2009 - Updated With Full Race Reports
Martin Claims Southern 100 Championship

Hydrex Honda's Guy Martin finally got his hands on the Southern 100 Championship trophy when he won Thursday's 9-lap race around the 4.25-mile Billown circuit on the Isle of Man. Having finished second in 2005, 2006 and 2007, Guy got the better of Ryan Farquhar by just over one tenth of a second after a thrilling contest to add his name to the famous trophy for the first time and this rounded off his week in perfect fashion having taken two runner-up spots earlier in the week.

Thursday's feature race was, arguably, one of the best ever witnessed in the 64-year history of the Southern 100 as Guy, Ryan Farquhar, Michael Dunlop and Conor Cummins battled constantly throughout the 9 laps. With perfect conditions on the Island, positions were exchanged at nearly every corner but in the closing stages Guy managed to get a small gap over his pursuers and although Farquhar closed rapidly on the final lap, Guy just had enough to hold him off, getting the win by 0.163s; indeed, less than three quarters of a second separated the quartet at the chequered flag.

Earlier in the week, the races had been almost as hectic and in Tuesday's opening Superbike race it was a three-way dice between Guy, Farquhar and Cummins. The lap record was repeatedly broken and Guy led on the final lap but Farquhar was in determined mood and squeezed by at Castletown Corner to get the verdict by just under three tenths of a second. It was a similar story in Wednesday's second Superbike race as Farquhar again overhauled Guy on the final lap and he had to settle for second once more.

In the Supersport 600cc class, an engine problem on the first night of practice meant that a new one had to be shipped over in time for the first race but, having worked his way up to third, the bike expired on the fifth lap promptly catching fire! Subsequently, he had to miss the second Supersport race.

With a win and two seconds during the week, it was a happy Guy that said:

"I love the Southern 100, it's my favourite meeting of the year and after all the second places over the years, it's mint to finally win the main Championship race. It certainly wasn't easy though and all of the Superbike races were flat out all the way but I managed to hold Ryan off and finally get my hands on the trophy. He was riding really well all week and certainly made me work for it but we got the job done and after just losing out to him in the two races before, this time it was my turn to win."

"The 600 blew up on Monday and then in the race it started getting slower and slower so I pulled in at Ballabeg after it nearly pitched me off the corner before. I got going again but as I went through the Black Hole there was a massive bang and that was that. No sooner had I parked up though the old girl burst into flames and there was no fire extinguisher around so all the spectators started throwing their water, coke, juice, beer and anything else they had at it in order to put the flames out!"

"It was a great week, just me, Kate and Danny, and there was a lot of banter throughout so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Huge thanks to George Peach and the boys for putting on a terrific meeting and I'm now looking forward to Kells. It will be my first Irish National road race for a couple of years but there's no pressure on me and I'm just looking to go there and have a good time."

The Kells road races take place this weekend with the races being held on Sunday.
18-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Website Find Reply