Hailwood's senior tt crash 1965
Dave-M Offline

Threads: 2
Hailwood's senior tt crash 1965
Have any of you got a photo of Mike Hailwood restarting the 500cc MV after he crashed in the 65 senior. i was talking with a mate and he reckons that Hailwood never re-started the MV down the hill against the direction of the race, i have seen a photo of it years ago in one of the mags but a search on the net came up with nothing so hopefully you knowledgeable people can come up with something.

Dave
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Hailwood's senior tt crash 1965
Hi Dave I have sent you a pm re this famous incident. Barry
In this country, it is customary to offer generous gratuities to taxi drivers
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
I have a picture in my office , of mike rounding Q bridge in said race,fairing bubble is smashed,it was from Motorcycle weekly,the other rags oppo,The paper those days was pink.Good god 44yrs ago ,where did that go.
PITLANE 07
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
(01-08-2009, 12:10 PM)pitlane07 Wrote: I have a picture in my office , of mike rounding Q bridge in said race,fairing bubble is smashed,it was from Motorcycle weekly,the other rags oppo,The paper those days was pink.Good god 44yrs ago ,where did that go.

sarahs cottage i reckon
Roll on Kells 2010
01-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
Dave-M Offline

Barry you have a PM.
pitlane07 i have a similar photo probably the same one which is on the Stanley Schofield sound stories LP of the 1965 TT. 44yrs since i first went over to the TT with my Dad and brothers to see Jim Redman with the 250 Honda 6 when it made it's island debut, god it only seems like yesterday
01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(01-08-2009, 07:45 AM)Dave-M Wrote: Have any of you got a photo of Mike Hailwood restarting the 500cc MV after he crashed in the 65 senior. i was talking with a mate and he reckons that Hailwood never re-started the MV down the hill against the direction of the race, i have seen a photo of it years ago in one of the mags but a search on the net came up with nothing so hopefully you knowledgeable people can come up with something.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just looked in "Hailwood" by Mike Hailwood and Ted macauley, published in 1968, and it cost 30 shillings!. It says that Mike crashed his MV shortley after Sarah's cottage, and ended up on his back looking into the eyes of Giacomo Agostini, who had crashed at the same spot a little earlier. It goes on to say that under the eyes of the marshalls, who diplomatically looked the other way !, Hailwood push started the MV down the hill towards the oncoming traffic, it fired and he swerved round in the road and carried on. There is a super picture in the book of Mike kicking the MV's fairing back into place, but not a picture of him push starting the bike. But I think I saw one once. Do people think that a competitor would get away with that today?.

Regards to all,

Pat.
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Find Reply
Dave-M Offline

Pat regarding the photo you mention of Mike kicking the MV i already have that as Barry Wood kindly sent it to me along with the one i wanted of Mike paddling the MV down the hill to restart it. My mate reckons that he was talking with a Marshall who was on duty that day and the marshall told him that Mike restarted the MV in a side road/track and then got back on to the course, but as far as i know there is no side road/track at that point and i can not see Mike trying to find somewhere off the course or trying to push start the MV uphill wasting time and losing the lead as the adrenalin would be flowing and the bike would be picked up kicked straight and rolled down hill - started - turned round and away uphill back in the race. full marks to the those that turned a blind eye to this and who would report Mike anyway. This topic came about because of Rossi restarting his bike against the race direction when he crashed at the esses at Donnington in this years Moto GP, mate reckons Rossi should of been disqualified, it was at that point i mentioned about Mike doing a similar thing in the 65 TT the rest you know.
these are the photo's Barry sent me
[Image: Hailwoodscrash65TT.jpg]

[Image: HailwoodsTTcrash19652.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2009, 02:46 PM by Dave-M.)
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
Didnt i say Sara's?
Roll on Kells 2010
04-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
The first photo of the mv leaning against the bank does'nt appear to be hailwoods the number looks like 3 and the screen appears to be compleate mike's number was 5 so the first photo must be ago's bike the photo of mike on the bike is not that good looks like he could be pointing up or down and i think it would be possible to start a bike on the track that goes off on the left just before sarah's.
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
Dave-M Offline

(04-08-2009, 09:42 PM)cregnybaa Wrote: The first photo of the mv leaning against the bank does'nt appear to be hailwoods the number looks like 3 and the screen appears to be compleate mike's number was 5 so the first photo must be ago's bike the photo of mike on the bike is not that good looks like he could be pointing up or down and i think it would be possible to start a bike on the track that goes off on the left just before sarah's.

If you read the caption to the photo you would have known that the bike in the top photo was Ago's MV. As far as i know the crash happened shortly after Sarah's if it had happened right at Sarah's ( being a righthander) the damage to the MV would i imagine be to the right handside of the bike and not the left as both the MV's are damage to the leftside. So if Mike used the track just before Sarah's to restart the bike he must have gone against the direction to get to this track also if you look closely at the photo of Mike paddling the MV you can see that the bank where it joins the road on the right of the photo is higher up the photo than the bank on the left suggesting that it's down hill and it also looks like Mike is starting to turn the MV round, it certainly would be hard to paddle the 500 MV uphill to start it, i think down hill being the easier option is what Mike opted for.
05-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(05-08-2009, 09:33 AM)Dave-M Wrote:
(04-08-2009, 09:42 PM)cregnybaa Wrote: The first photo of the mv leaning against the bank does'nt appear to be hailwoods the number looks like 3 and the screen appears to be compleate mike's number was 5 so the first photo must be ago's bike the photo of mike on the bike is not that good looks like he could be pointing up or down and i think it would be possible to start a bike on the track that goes off on the left just before sarah's.

If you read the caption to the photo you would have known that the bike in the top photo was Ago's MV. As far as i know the crash happened shortly after Sarah's if it had happened right at Sarah's ( being a righthander) the damage to the MV would i imagine be to the right handside of the bike and not the left as both the MV's are damage to the leftside. So if Mike used the track just before Sarah's to restart the bike he must have gone against the direction to get to this track also if you look closely at the photo of Mike paddling the MV you can see that the bank where it joins the road on the right of the photo is higher up the photo than the bank on the left suggesting that it's down hill and it also looks like Mike is starting to turn the MV round, it certainly would be hard to paddle the 500 MV uphill to start it, i think down hill being the easier option is what Mike opted for.

Your right i didn't read the caption i didn't need to read it to see they were two differant bikes but obviously you never read the caption below of which it states mike started the bike down hill against all the regs so thats the answer to one of your original questions
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Find Reply
Dave-M Offline

Cregnybaa wrote " Your right i didn't read the caption i didn't need to read it to see they were two differant bikes but obviously you never read the caption below of which it states mike started the bike down hill against all the regs so thats the answer to one of your original questions "

I asked for any photo's of the incident,
this extract is from one of my earlier posts
" This topic came about because of Rossi restarting his bike against the race direction when he crashed at the esses at Donnington in this years Moto GP, mate reckons Rossi should of been disqualified, it was at that point i mentioned about Mike doing a similar thing in the 65 TT ".
06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Find Reply