Interpreter
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Interpreter
Please can anyone help me.

What was the name of the nice Japanese lady who interpreted and prepared meals for the japanese riders and mechanics when Honda first arrived on the scene ?

I can't get up in my storage facility (loft) until my leg has healed so I'm a bit stuck for information such as this.

I'm sure someone will have made notes like I did but didn't store them in an inaccessible place !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: Interpreter
Hi Ian..! Hope you are getting better..!!

I have posed your question to a chap I know... see if he remembers... he has not been to as many TT's as you, but he was around about that time..

Cheers..!!

Ron
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
The lady was Kay Karran, I believe she now lives in Castletown. She was featured in the Honda exhibition at the Manx Museum. She married a Manxman after the war.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hi Guys.... just got this reply from my pal Dave, who is now a retired (Ameican) Honda employee.. sadly I have no idea how to get the pictures here... Ian if I had your e-mail address, I could send you the pictures I have... they are very recent, I am sure..!
Cheers..!
Ron

From dave:

Yes, I have known Keiko-san for years and years…….she still bakes cookies & cakes, and brings them up to us at the Honda base behind the grandstand during TT week. Her name is Keiko Carran, who has lived on the Island since the 50’s and was Mr. Honda’s interpreter, also interpreter for Mr. Kawashima – Team Manager, and later President of Honda.

The one photo is of ‘your truly’ and Keiko-san, and the other one was taken this year at the unveiling of a commemorative plaque. It was placed on the Honda Team race garage wall at the old ‘Nursery Hotel’ during the 50th anniversary celebration of our first entry into the TT races. Coincidentally, a few feet to the right of this plaque is the exact spot where Keiko-san had her cooking stove against this wall, and where she made the Team at home by cooking all of their favourite Japanese foods. She is still going strong – not sure if she turns up for the Manx (?) but I am sure she’ll certainly continue for a long time, to bring food/goodies up for the Honda team folks during the TT.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2009, 09:32 PM by Gstarron.)
04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
Just seen this in the paper,
sadly Kay (Keiko) passed away on the 5th Novemeber. Funeral at Douglas Crem 11:30 13th Nov
09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
It is so sad that Mrs Karran is reported to have passed away at the weekend

We have been doing some research on her, with regard to her contribution to Honda and to the TT and were quite surprised at how much she was involved.

Our sincere condolences to her famiy and to all the many friends she made on the Island.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
10-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
"Kay" Carran
Posted on realroadracing.com by Helen Gibson, very sad news indeed.

Quote: It is with great sadness that I have to report the death last Thursday of Kikue Kaiko (Kay) Carran, widow of Dr Jack Carran, here in Castletown, who was the Japanese lady who fed the Honda team in 1959. She was very surprised to be a guest at events during TT Fortnight this year related to the 50th anniversary. She was much loved by her friends here in Castletown. Keiko is survived by her son Arthur.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
10-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
RE: "Kay" Carran
My apologies for doing a 'Gordon Brown' with Kay Carran's name. The Manx name Karran is well known to me as a famous shipping family.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
11-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Website Find Reply