Kev Coghlan is proclaimed Spanish Supersport Champion
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kev Coghlan is proclaimed Spanish Supersport Champion
Scottish rider Kev Coghlan was crowned Spanish Supersport Champion in the penultimate round of the CEV Buckler 2009, held on Sunday at the Jerez Circuit in front of 24,000 spectators.

[Image: kcoghlan1.gif]
Kevin celebrating on the podium.

In the three categories there were potential Championship deciding outcomes, but two dramatic crashes on the last laps of both the 125GP and Extreme/Moto2 races have deferred the decision of the respective titles until the final round in Valencia.

In the 125GP, French rider Johann Zarco imposed his experience of riding in the World Championship to overcome Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira and Japanese rider Hiroki Ono. Alberto Moncayo had to finish ahead of Maverick Viñales to obtain the Championship. With the race perfectly controlled and Patrick Jacobsen leading the Catalan rider, Jacobsen fell on the last lap, rolling into Moncayo who had to retire. Viñales finished fourth, meaning Moncayo arrives in Valencia with an 11-point advantage in the Championship.

The script, worthy of a film thriller, was repeated in the Extreme/Moto2 race. At the start, Bernat Martínez played his only card, which was to go for the race win. In contrast, Iván Silva made another bad start, finishing the first lap in eighth place. Javier Del Amor was in front of Martínez and seemed set to win his first race of the year. Morales was not willing to give up and both exchanged positions continually while Silva continued a great comeback as he made contact with the lead group. On the final lap, Del Amor broke hard and clashed with Morales, who did not crash but lost his chance of winning, and must wait until Valencia to be crowned Champion. The highest-placed privateer was Extreme rider Santiago Barragán.

With respect to Moto2, the Dunlop tyres that will feature in the World Championship next year were premiered at Jerez. Xavier Forés and Dani Rivas staged a spectacularly close race, resulting in favour of the former by 23 thousandths of a second.

In contrast, the Supersport title was decided on the second lap when Iván Moreno - the only rider who could mathematically snatch the title from Kev Coghlan - suffered a mechanical fault, thus assuring the Scot the Championship. The race was dominated from the start by Belgian rider Xavier Simeon, with Adrián Bonastre second while third place on the podium was decided after an intense battle between Yonni Hernandez, Kev Coghlan and Román Ramos with the Colombian finally prevailing. The best-placed privateer was Antonio Gallardo.

The final scoring round of the CEV Buckler 2009 will take place next weekend at the Circuito de la Comunitat Valenciana.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
17-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
RE: Kev Coghlan is proclaimed Spanish Supersport Champion
I heard after the race from Kev`s dad who pointed me in the right direction for a cracking traditional scottish podium photo of Kev !

He actually stripped off after crossing the finnishing line and rode his victory lap in his kilt n not a lot more !

Apparently the spanish crowd went wild Yahoo

http://www.motogphotties.com/2009/11/gre...ghlan.html
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 20-11-2009, 05:25 PM by Stella.)
20-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Find Reply