TT star Johnson explains 140mph testing smash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT star Johnson explains 140mph testing smash
Isle of Man TT star Gary Johnson, who finished third in last year’s Senior TT, is recovering after suffering a high speed crash in testing.

[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

The 29-year-old damaged his ankle, back, hand and arm in the 140mph smash, in which he also hit his head. Johnson was testing AIM Suzuki machinery at Cartegena, Spain, when the crash happened.

He is due to be riding for AIM Suzuki at the 2010 TT, which will be his fourth year at the event.

Despite his injuries, the Broughton rider is hoping to make the opening round of the British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch, as well as being fully fit for the TT – which is just 64 days away.

[Image: garyjohnson1.gif]
image from whyarai.co.uk

Johnson said:

“We were going well and trying new things with the Superstock bike and also the new Evo bike with which I will contest the Evo section of the British Superbike championship this year.”

“We were trying a new tyre spec, but it wasn’t working and subsequently I pushed a little too hard and lost the back end while in fifth gear doing around 140mph.”

“I hit the deck hard and cracked my ankle. My left glove came off while I was sliding through the gravel so I scraped the skin off my hand and arm. I also tweaked my back and then hit the ground hard on my head which caused my helmet to cave in.”

“I lost my short term memory for a while and the medics were a bit concerned so I was taken for some scans on my head which luckily proved clear.”

“I am happy with my ankle and my hand isn’t too bad, but I have a few concerns about my arm as it is still a bit weepy. I am hopeful of riding at Brands and will give it a go. If I feel okay after practice then I will contest the two races on Easter Monday.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
26-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Website Find Reply