Stuart Easton: Infected wound threatened Thruxton
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Stuart Easton: Infected wound threatened Thruxton
Last week I said my biggest fear was getting an infection in my leg wound; well I ended up getting one.

The dreaded infection arrived in the middle of last week and there was a big panic for a while. I wondered if I would be able to compete at Thruxton.

The worst it got was towards the end of the week: lots of poison and pus came out of it and the wound broke down completely.

I was put on a course of antibiotics, and it got better quickly over the weekend - and now it is even better again.

It's definitely going the right way: I'll be okay for Thruxton. But it's a nightmare since all my time has been focused on the leg!

I haven't done any training for the best part of a month now - because I can't do any.

Basically I'll be going into Thruxton in a similar position to Brands, although the outlook is a bit better than the last round.

And the setback means I've still got the original stitches in the wound, which is another point: you can leave them in too long and that causes more problems.

However, as I said in my blog last week Thruxton by its nature will be easier on the injury: it is a more flowing circuit. At Brands, Paddock is difficult then it's up to Druids and down to Graham Hill... it was just very difficult for the leg.

I won't know for sure until I get there, but I can see Thruxton being more open.

I've got a good record there: I won in Supersport and had a good race with Eugene Laverty and Cal Crutchlow in 2006. I held the lap record there for many years. It suits me because it's fast.

It's very important to get the bike set up correctly and there's a bit of a tactical edge to it as well. My injury shouldn't affect me getting the bike set up right, thankfully.

The section I most like there is Noble, a fast left-hander which then goes into Village: that is seriously fast, and it is the corner that scares me most after the next corner - Church.

I think Church is the scariest corner in the country!

The bike was a lot better than the rider at Brands, that much was obvious from the fact that James won on it. So hopefully when I get myself right I'll be up there.

The game plan will be the same as it was at Brands, targeting two top-10 finishes - anything else is a bonus.

A lot of people have been saying that the new points-scoring system will minimise the damage the injury does to my campaign, but I don't think it will.

I may be able to drop these rounds, should I want to, but I still have to race in them: to spend that time recovering would have been beneficial, but not the way it has happened.

And as one of the readers James commented on my blog last week, the system takes away some value from a rider's consistency. I prefer it the way it was: there was nothing wrong with the championship being held over an entire season, which all other championships are.

But that's just my opinion: I'm not complaining. It's going to be a spectacle and it's the same for everyone.

British Superbikes from Thruxton: Sunday 12.30pm LIVE on British Eurosport 2 (Sky 411 / Virgin 525) & Eurosport Player

Stuart Easton / Eurosport
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
13-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Website Find Reply