Hill wins Thruxton dog fight
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hill wins Thruxton dog fight
Worx Crescent Suzuki's Tommy Hill battled his way out to his second win of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship after a dog fight between the leading five riders at Thruxton in the opening race of the day.

Stuart Easton got off to another of his flying starts off the line on the Swan Honda ahead of Hill and Yukio Kagayama on the Worx Crescent Suzuki, with Hill already putting the pressure on Easton for the lead on the opening lap. John Laverty was tucked in fourth ahead of Alastair Seeley, Michael Rutter and Josh Brookes on the opening lap.

Kagayama was not going to settle in behind his team-mate though and forced his way through into Club Chicane on the brakes to move second at the end of lap three. The Relentless Suzuki was also on the attack; Alastair Seeley barged his way passed Michael Rutter at Cobb to move fifth.

Dan Linfoot then crashed out on the next lap at Goodwood whilst fighting in eighth position; Howie Mainwaring was another rider to loose out when he crashed the MSS Colchester Kawasaki out of contention on the seventh lap.

Brookes was fired up though for the win, barging passed Rutter into the Club Chicane to move fourth on the eighth lap and closing on the back of Hill's Worx Crescent Suzuki. The championship leader knew the HM Plant Honda was closing in, but at the front Kagayama made a move on leader Easton at Goodwood to take the lead for the first time in over six years.

Brookes was attacking hard; he passed Hill with a determined move into the Complex to take third on lap eleven and then two laps later he passed Easton at Campbell. Hill also was moving forward and up to third as the lone Swan Honda dropped to fourth.

Brookes took the lead on lap 15 as he fired passed Kagayama at Noble. The battle was behind then between the Worx Crescent Suzukis with Kagayama and Hill swapping places throughout the 17th lap, the Japanese ace held the advantage then Hill made a move at the Club Chicane the following lap to repay the compliment.

Hill took the lead from Brookes on the penultimate lap and then edged a slight advantage to hold the lead, with the HM Plant Honda rider taking his first podium of the season. Kagayama took his first top three finish since the penultimate race in 2004.

Hill said:

"That race was non-stop every lap and it was a real fight out there and towards the end everyone was all over the place. I was comfortable in the middle of the race but then Josh came past and I have to say I wasn't expecting it as I thought I had braked late! It is good for everyone and I want to thank the Worx Crescent Suzuki team; lets see if we can make it the double in race two."

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, race one:

Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki)
Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +0.818s
Yukio Kagayama (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +1.185s
Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +1.510s
Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +5.670s
Martin Jessopp (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +7.490s
John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +9.154s
Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +9.300s
Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +9.493s
Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +17.014s
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
18-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Website Find Reply