Many positives from a tough weekend at Oulton Park
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Many positives from a tough weekend at Oulton Park
[Image: robmachdr.jpg]

Oulton Park proved to be a real test of resolve for the Motorpoint Yamaha team, both Dan Linfoot and new signing Ian Lowry were on good form and their Yamaha R1’s set up well for a good weekend. The last ingredient was a little luck and that was the part missing.

Both riders from the third row made a good start in race one. Ian was confident he could run at front and was very keen to make sure he hooked up in the early laps. For Dan having a teammate was a great help, one as fast and as aggressive as Ian was a real bonus. Ultimately Ian’s aggressive early laps caught him out and he ran wide at the Shell Hairpin section and slipped off on the grass ending his race. Dan dug in and finished a good 9th gaining some vital experience and making good progress in his first year on the Superbike.

The Second race was very much a lottery as the weather changed minutes before the start soaking the circuit and leaving no real choice of tyre other than full wets. It was inevitable the track would dry and it was really a case of bringing the bike home in one piece. Ian had to start from the 5th row, not scoring a decent fast lap in race one meant with the new rules he had to move back on the grid. This added to the fact that he had never ridden the bike on wets in the rain which could have been ok but wet tyres on a dry track were definitely not. Ian retired on lap 6 not wanting to risk any damage, he had shown some great potential and wanted to move onto the next race fit.

Dan had a strong race after a very poor start saw him in 20th position, battling through to 10th his tyres paid the penalty. The drying track totally wrecked all the riders tyres and Dan had to settle for 14th at the flag, again experienced gained of how to handle a 215 bhp Superbike with no grip!

Dan Linfoot Motorpoint Yamaha 14th race 2

“I guess after the last two race weekends I really wanted to finish both races today. I need to get going and regain some confidence. The first race was pretty good, having a teammate pushing like Ian was good for me and I am sure we will work together and get stronger.

The second race was pretty crazy, I have never ridden a bike that slides around like that. While the tyres were hanging on I came through OK, but once they had overheated it was very much a case of getting home in one piece.

A break now and then Cadwell so hopefully our luck will change for our home race”

Ian Lowry Motorpoint Yamaha, DNF race 1 DNF race 2

“I can’t believe the weekend ended up like that, it was my first race weekend and I messed up with qualifying and that ultimately cost me the weekend. Starting from the 3rd row I knew I had to take a few chances to get with the boy’s on the first few laps, if you do not get hooked on you cannot catch up and I knew I had the pace to run with them. I was just too fired up I guess, I love the bike and really felt I could get a result. In hindsight I should have taken my time, I was fast enough and did not need to panic.

The second race was rubbish, riding on wets in the dry is a disaster and I had no chance from the 5th row. After crashing out in race one there was no way I was doing the same in race two! I am just getting friendly with my new team and that may have strained our relationship! We have to be positive, I need more time on the bike for sure and I am confident I will only get stronger”

Rob Mac

“These are the times when you need a good team around you. There is no question Ian brought some inspiration, his pace and confidence was just what we needed. The positives from this tough weekend were there to be seen, Ian’s pace helped the guy’s with set up and Dan with some track management, for once we had our two riders working as a team. What we did not get was any luck at all. Ian had to get rough on the early laps to try and break through to the leaders, with his lack of racing this year he got caught out and slipped off. Dan after the last two race weekends was conscious of having something to build on. Two good solid race finishes was just what he needed and in the tricky conditions he did a great job.

Our post race blues will be shaken off ready for Cadwell our local track and hopefully a little good luck will come our way!”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
04-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Website Find Reply