HASLAM HAPPY WITH FIFTH PLACE ON KYALAMI SUPERBIKE GRID
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HASLAM HAPPY WITH FIFTH PLACE ON KYALAMI SUPERBIKE GRID
[Image: worldsbkhdr.gif]

Team Suzuki Alstare rider Leon Haslam battled away to the fifth fastest time in Superpole today and will start tomorrow's pair of 24-lap World Superbike races in Kyalami in South Africa from the second row of the grid.

Although he would've liked a front-row grid place, his position is well-placed for an attack into the first turn for what promises to be yet another action-packed Raceday.

Haslam's team mate Sylvain Guintoli improved from yesterday and was charging towards the first two rows of the grid until the smallest of mistakes in Superpole 2 cost him a place in Superpole 3.

Cal Crutchlow took Superpole today - his third of the season - with Yamaha team mate James Toseland second. Third was Carlos Checa (Ducati) with Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) fourth on a day that saw just one second separating the top 13 riders.

Leon Haslam - 5th, 1:37.401:

"I'm pretty happy with fifth place today and I actually prefer it to fourth because it is a better place from which to attack the first turn. It's an easier run and as long as I get a good start, I'm sure I'll be there or thereabouts. I'm happy because my race pace is good and my lap times on race rubber are good. It's going to be a tough day tomorrow and any one of about six or so riders could win a race. Kyalami is a difficult track to overtake on because there's more or less only one racing line. When you get off that line, to pass somebody for example, it's easy to get on a dirty and bumpy part of the track and make a mistake. The first corner is not very far away and after that there are a series of corners where it would be impossible to pass, so good starts are vital. Tomorrow morning we'll make a few little tweaks to the bike and see if we can improve it further. But, if not, then it's ready to race and so am I."

Sylvain Guintoli - 10th, 1:37.875:

"I am disappointed with my Superpole and but for a small mistake in a final split, I'm sure that I could have got into final Superpole. That would've given me at least a place on the second row, but now I will have to start tomorrow's races from row three. The first corner is quite close and so it's very important that I make two good starts. If I don't, I'm going to be in trouble for sure and it'll be difficult making up ground.

"The good news is that I'm happy with my race set-up and very happy with my race tyres. It's a shame that I didn't qualify better, because I'm sure that it would've made my two races easier. As I said before, this Championship is so competitive and the lap times are so close and if you make the smallest of errors you get punished a lot."

Final WSB qualifying:

1 Crutchlow (GBR-Yamaha) 1:37.243,
2 Toseland (GBR-Yamaha) 1:37.260,
3 Checa (ESP-Ducati) 1:37.296,
4 Fabrizio (ITA-Ducati) 1:37.368,
5 Leon Haslam (GBR-Suzuki Alstare) 1:37.401,
6 Smrz (CZE-Ducati) 1:37.561.

10 Sylvain Guintoli (FRA-Suzuki Alstare) 1:38.875.

Meeting Schedule

Sunday (GMT+2)
09.20-09.40 WSBK WARM UP
09.50-10.10 W SUPERSPORT WARM UP
10.20 LOCAL 1000 RACE (12 LAPS KM. 51.150)
11.10-11.30 PIT WALK PIT WALK
12.00 WSBK RACE 1 (24 LAPS KM. 102.312)
13.30 W SUPERSPORT RACE (23 LAPS KM. 98.049)
14.20 LOCAL 600 RACE (11 LAPS KM. 46.893)
15.30 WSBK RACE 2 (24 LAPS KM. 102.312)
16.45 LOCAL 1000 RACE (12 LAPS KM. 51.150)
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 15-05-2010, 07:39 PM by Malcolm.)
15-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Website Find Reply