Race Director Pays Tribute to NW200 Officials and Volunteers
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Race Director Pays Tribute to NW200 Officials and Volunteers
[Image: relenlessnorthwesthdr.gif]

Reflecting on the success of this year’s North West 200, Race Director Mervyn Whyte MBE thanked all officials and in particular the course set-up team, who spent months preparing the course to ensure it met the required safety standards and also looked after strip down post event. Mervyn also praised the course hardware team who contributed magnificently to the event.

“Thanks must also be given to our new management team members who worked tirelessly throughout the year. Without such a diligent team we simply would not have been able to deliver such a superb event,” said Mervyn. “I would also like to thank the many hundreds of volunteers, including those who joined us for the first time this year – all their work is very much appreciated.”

“We estimate that in excess of 100,000 fans and visitors attended the races on Saturday and are currently undergoing a full evaluation process. We anticipate that within two weeks we’ll be in a position to reveal a more in depth range of statistics which will paint a more accurate picture of the economic and tourism impact of the event.”

[Image: mervwhite.jpg]
Race Director Mervyn Whyte MBE

Mervyn went on to thank the PSNI and medical services as well as Coleraine Borough Council who all played a massive role in ensuring everything went according to plan. “I would also like to thank our title sponsor Relentless and associate backer Black Horse Motorcycle Finance as well as race sponsors Yoko, Clinton Enterprises, McKendry Fabrications, CP Hire, Greenline and Ballymoney Borough Council for their much valued support. We also appreciate the valuable support received from other ancillary sponsors including companies who provided course vehicles and our range of corner sponsors. BBC NI Sport as usual did a wonderful job getting thrilling images of the races across the globe and both highlight shows were a triumph!”

Mervyn Whyte was also extremely pleased with the positive impact made by the introduction of daytime practice on Thursday of Race Week and the new chicane at Mather’s Cross. “Daytime practice was a major step forward for NW200 organisers. All teams and competitors gave the session their full approval as it provided sufficient time for both regulars and newcomers to gain valuable practice time round the course. I would like to wholeheartedly thank residents, traders, schools and the farming community located in and around the 8.9 mile, course for their tolerance and understanding. We worked closely with any residents who needed access to and from their homes and we appreciated everyone’s patience and support.”

“The new chicane at Mather’s Cross was hugely important in terms of new safety measures. It was designed to reduce rider speed and potential serious incidents, thereby ensuring the long-term future of the North West 200. In my book we had no alternative and I believe we assessed this one correctly.”

“Whilst we had a number of unavoidable delays due to spectator incidents in and around the course I was delighted that all races were ultimately completed without any major problems. I would just like to emphasize that the fight which broke out close to the Coast Road area of the course began at the temporary Motorhome and Caravan Park and not at the Inn on the Coast restaurant as previously reported. The incident which involved half a dozen members of the public was resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible allowing racing to recommence.”

Whyte concluded, “As the organising club, Coleraine & District Motor Club members have had numerous well wishes and congratulations following Race Day. As well as volunteers and spectators I’d like to thank all the teams, managers and the competitors themselves for helping to make Race Day such a successful and exciting festival of Racing.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
20-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Website Find Reply