STEVE PLATER ON ROAD TO RECOVERY
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
STEVE PLATER ON ROAD TO RECOVERY
[Image: platerlogo.gif]

HM Plant Honda ace Steve Plater is on the road to recovery after his crash in practice for the North West 200
when he sustained a broken left arm.

The Woodhall Spa rider returned to his Lincolnshire home on Monday last week having left hospital in Londonderry after the operation to pin and plate the injury.

However he was still suffering some pain in his chest and shoulder and went to hospital in Lincoln for further tests after which he underwent a further operation to relieve the pressure on the nerves in his arm.

After his release from hospital he made his way to Cadwell Park where he helped with the commentary during the British Supersport round. He also was on hand to watch his HM Plant Honda teammates as they took a win apiece in the British Superbike championship.

He said:

“I feel ok now, its just a case of waiting to see how long the arm will take to heal. I had another operation in Lincoln on Friday to try and release the pressure on the carpel tunnel and got out of hospital at 11am today, Saturday. Its just a case of waiting for the swelling to go down and see if I can get some sensation back in my hand. I have no feeling in my first two fingers and thumb at the moment and it takes time to heal, so at the moment I have no idea on when I will be racing again.”

Plater will not be in a position to race at this year’s Isle of Man festival and HM Plant Honda have announced that Scot Keith Amor will replace him to ride the Honda Fireblade in the Superbike and Senior TT races. But Steve will attend the Isle of Man festival as he has some TV work to do and will continue to receive medical treatment while on the island.

“My plan is to be at the TT with the team and I’ll be helping out in any way I can, but I also want to spend time with race goers in the paddock, help with the television commentary and also take part in our ‘off-track’ activities for the team, our sponsors and Honda.

“For sure I’m still gutted to not be able to compete, but I’m pleased it’s Keith who’ll be taking my place as he’s a great rider and good guy and I am sure will do the ride justice. Keith and I started at the TT at the same time in 2007 and he’s been knocking at the door behind me and going from strength to strength so I’m sure with the best team in the paddock in HM Plant Honda and, on the best bike with the Fireblade Superbike machine that he’ll be able to progress even more and pull in some good results for himself and the team.”

Steve relinquished his lead in the Metzeler National Superstock championship but is just five points adrift from Sunday’s race winner Jon Kirkham who takes over at the top of the rider standings. The championship now takes a break to allow for the TT races, the next two rounds are scheduled for the British round of MotoGP at Silverstone on June 20. It is too early to say if Plater will be fit but he will be working towards returning to action as soon as possible in order to reclaim his series lead.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
24-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Website Find Reply