New Book - Maria Costello – Queen of Bikers
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
New Book - Maria Costello – Queen of Bikers
BRITAIN’S MOST PROMINENT FEMALE MOTORBIKE RACER HAS ESTABLISHED HERSELF AS A CHAMPION IN THE TOUGH SPORT,
AND HER NEW AUTOBIOGRAPHY REVEALS THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF THIS MALE-DOMINATED CLUB.

QUEEN OF BIKERS REVEALS THE REAL WOMAN BEHIND THE LEATHER-CLAD IMAGE.

[Image: mariabook.gif]

Maria Costello, MBE, is the most prominent female rider in British motorbike racing – a traditionally male-dominated sport. Having established herself as a champion over the course of the last 15 years, the petite blonde is still fighting a battle against gender prejudice. Yet she has picked up as many medals as the slickest and fastest men, and has the scars to show for it.

When Maria became a Member of the British Empire on 17 November 2009, it was in return for services to her sport. Royal recognition for the 36-year-old served as vindication after years of feeling she was gate-crashing a strictly male club. In Queen of Bikers, Maria (with co-author Steve Pitts) details the dogged obsession that led one fast and furious female to the top of her game.

The early opposition by her family to her dangerous sport; the broken bones and narrow misses; the rehab recovery from injury and depression; the ambivalent attitudes towards the girl on a motorcycle; the difficulties in maintaining a relationship; the tragic death of a bike-racing legend and great friend, man-mountain Dave Jefferies; the groupie scene around the paddock, the stereotyping of mild-mannered Maria as a wild ‘biker chick’ in leather and the hard-won gain of the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy race record – all are recounted here in the subject’s own words.

Maria Costello is legendary in her high-octane/high-risk sport. The fastest woman around the Isle of Man TT for five years, a big-screen stunt double, regional Sports Personality of the Year in her native Midlands, even an animated character in a Playstation Superbikes game – in Queen of Bikers, the real woman behind the leather-clad image talks candidly and entertainingly about her life.

Written by Maria Costello and Steve Pitts

Published by Pennant Books

25th May 2010

Hardback 256pp

Autobiography/Sport

£18.99

ISBN 978-1-906015-54-1

Co-author Steve Pitts is the former sports editor of Northamptonshire Newspapers. As an author he has written the much-acclaimed 39 Days of Gazza and the forthcoming Mungo Jerry & Me with Ray Dorset, both for Pennant Books.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
25-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: New Book - Maria Costello – Queen of Bikers
Will there be a signing session during the TT

If so, when and where ???
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-05-2010, 10:57 PM