Paul Owen wins inaugural PokerStars ‘Spirit of the TT’ Award
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Paul Owen wins inaugural PokerStars ‘Spirit of the TT’ Award
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

TT rider Paul Owen, from Llangollen, Wales, has won the inaugural PokerStars ‘Spirit of the TT’ Award.

The ‘Spirit of TT’ award is given to recognise a selfless contribution by an individual to the event’s success. The criteria for the award are based on key qualities such as innovation, leadership, teamwork, respect and integrity. The award is open to anyone who contributes to the event, such as riders, marshals and volunteers.

The award is judged by representatives from the ACU, Isle of Man Government, TT sponsor PokerStars, Isle of Man Newspapers and Manx Radio.

Paul was following close friend New Zealander Paul Dobbs on the track during the Supersport 2 Race. Following Paul Dobbs’ accident at Quarry Bends, Paul Owen dismounted and assisted the marshals in controlling the incident. He took a flag and told the marshal waving it to go and attend to the rider and he would wave the flag.

In doing this, Paul gave up his own race ambitions and also withdrew from the TT Zero Electric bike race.

Geoff Corkish, MBE, MHK, The political member for Isle of Man Tourism, commented:

“Paul’s actions typified the sense of community spirit that we value at the TT and on the Isle of Man and he is a very deserving winner of this inaugural award.”

[Image: paulowen.jpg]
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM by Malcolm.)
11-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
RE: Paul Owen wins inaugural PokerStars ‘Spirit of the TT’ Award
Not posted on here in a long time.

However in recognition of Pauls actions.

A very worthy award that I can only imagine will be accepted with great sadness.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM by Stella.)
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
I agree, a very worthy winner.
Can someone confirm that the Dobbs accident occurred at Ballagarey, Glen Vine, I understood Martin Loicht's accident was the one at Quarry Bends. It looks like an unfortunate slip-up at this most sensitive time.
11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
With respect to both racers lost to our sport.

Sadly here is confirmation Bill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/...294167.stm
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
12-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
The corrected Press Release should of course read as follows:

TT rider Paul Owen, from Llangollen, Wales, has won the inaugural PokerStars ‘Spirit of the TT’ Award.

The ‘Spirit of TT’ award is given to recognise a selfless contribution by an individual to the event’s success. The criteria for the award are based on key qualities such as innovation, leadership, teamwork, respect and integrity. The award is open to anyone who contributes to the event, such as riders, marshals and volunteers.

The award is judged by representatives from the ACU, Isle of Man Government, TT sponsor PokerStars, Isle of Man Newspapers and Manx Radio.

Paul was following close friend New Zealander Paul Dobbs on the track during the Supersport 2 Race. Following Paul Dobbs’ accident at Ballagarey, Paul Owen dismounted and assisted the marshals in controlling the incident. He took a flag and told the marshal waving it to go and attend to the rider and he would wave the flag.

In doing this, Paul gave up his own race ambitions and also withdrew from the TT Zero Electric bike race.

Geoff Corkish, MBE, MHK, The political member for Isle of Man Tourism, commented:

“Paul’s actions typified the sense of community spirit that we value at the TT and on the Isle of Man and he is a very deserving winner of this inaugural award.”

Sincerest apologies to all concerned for any confusion and or distress this error may have caused.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM by Malcolm.)
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
Paul well done you are a hero.
Roll on Kells 2010
15-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Find Reply