Unnamed rider fined over yellow flag incident
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
As reported on Manx Radio

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]

A competitor has been fined but not named by the AutoCycle Union following incidents during this year’s racing.

It follows criticism from the marshals of riders during both practice and race sessions, and raging debates on internet forums.

The Isle of Man TT Marshal’s Association claimed riders were ignoring yellow flags when they should have slowed down because of incidents further around the course.

The ACU has now said it held a number of investigations – but hasn’t revealed who was involved.

Tom Glover reports: (audio clip attached, text below)

The probes involved interviewing riders who’d been reported by marshals following a number of incidents – most notably during the second Supersport race.

In a statement, the ACU says one rider did not act appropriately and has been fined what many would consider to be a derisory sum of £250.

Race organisers say all such cases are extremely serious – and they can disqualify or even revoke licences to compete if allegations are proven.

It comes after a statement from the Marshal’s Association which called for the investigations to be made public.

Audio Clip - Listen Here.

Anyone who wishes to add their own comments to this thread be careful as anything whatsoever
that could be construed as libelous will be deleted.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
19-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: Unnamed rider fined over yellow flag incident
[Image: ttmalogo.gif]

Marshals Express Flag Concern in Statement

The Isle of Man T.T. Marshals Association has issued a strong statement confirming it's concerns over riders ignoring yellow flags during the past T.T. fortnight - it reads:-

The TTMA, wish to make the following statement regarding the use of the official race flags during the 2010 TT practices and races.

A considerable amount of correspondence, feedback and reports from concerned marshals, some race officials and riders, has been received by the TTMA regarding the serious lack of attention paid to flag signals by riders during practice and racing at the recent 2010 TT.

This mainly concerns the yellow danger warning flag which is displayed in a stationary manner or a figure of eight waved manner or a series of both stationary and waved flags, depending on the degree of danger present. The riders are fully briefed in what the flags mean and what is expected of them when they observe them being used in this manner. During the past couple of years directors of the TTMA have been present at rider’s briefings and during more recent events have conducted physical demonstrations and descriptions of all the race flags in a bid to reinforce the importance of riders taking notice of the flags.

It is therefore extremely worrying that some riders have been seen to not obey the yellow flag signals whilst approaching and riding through incidents, this is particularly dangerous as in many instances marshals are on the course dealing with the aftermath of such incidents and some riders are not slowing down at all and some are actually accelerating: long before the green flag is displayed which signifies the all-clear to continue at race speed. The TTMA considers this failing on the part of some riders a very serious issue and one that needs to be addressed in the strongest possible way.

Some marshals have made it clear they are withdrawing their services as a marshal should this matter not be dealt with and others have suggested a walk-out should they experience anything like it again. If the road races are to continue we must do everything we can to ensure we do not lose our valuable volunteers; the TTMA works hard and at some expense to recruit them and without them there will not be any races.

The TTMA understands that certain riders have been warned and one rider fined for his transgression; this however has not been made public, therefore no one knows that anything has been done. Furthermore the TTMA would like to receive a response to this statement outlining any actions intended, so that they can report back to the marshals.

For those who are unaware of these particular flag meanings/instruction to riders they are:

Yellow flag held stationary – Danger, slow down, no overtaking.

Yellow flag waved – imminent danger, slow down, no overtaking, be prepared to stop. It must be waved continuously in a figure of eight motion. Riders are subject to yellow flag restrictions until they pass a green flag

Green flag held stationary – course is clear to resume racing speed (only to be displayed after a yellow flag).

This press release may be used by any members of the media with the strict stipulation that it is used in its entirety.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
19-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

As reported on Manx Radio

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]

STATEMENT ISSUED ON BEHALF OF TT RACE ORGANISATION
FOLLOWING RECEIPT OF REPORTS OF RIDERS IGNORING YELLOW FLAGS

[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

Ahead of the first practice session for the 2010 Isle of Man TT Races all competitors attended a formal briefing on many aspects and requirements of competing in the event.

A representative from the TT Marshals Association also attended to give practical demonstrations of the various flag signals that the riders might encounter around the course and their appropriate response to these flags.

During this year’s TT Races, the ACU Events Race Direction received reports from the Marshals of incidents where they believed riders had ignored a yellow flag situation, requesting that they slow down as an incident had occurred further ahead on the course.

The ACU Events Race Direction reviewed these reports, including interviewing each of the riders reported individually, and decided that in one instance a rider did not act appropriately in a yellow flag situation. That rider has been fined £250.

As the organisers of the races, ACU Events considers that failure to respond appropriately to a yellow flag situation is an extremely serious offence and retains the right to disqualify a rider from a race or revoke his licence to compete if the situation is justified. The ACU Events Race Direction will not tolerate any instances, if proven, of riders acting in this manner.

The ACU Events Race Direction will utilise any means available to ascertain whether a rider is guilty of racing through yellow flags. Without a formal report being submitted or other evidence becoming available, ACU Race Direction is unable to act on any allegations made.

The ACU Race Direction will continue to work with both the riders and the IOMTT Marshals Association ahead of the 2011 TT Races to ensure ongoing improvements are made in this area.
19-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Hmmmm? I've so much I want to say on this and other matters, but am not allowed!!!
19-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
Harvey T Offline

Threads: 16
So, why unnamed............could it be no one.
Let the dug see the rabbit.
22-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
Many of us know who it is,but that is up to the ACU to tell everyone.I doubt that they will do that!
22-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Has this rider got enough "gut's" to admit to it, and apologise to the marshals and his fellow competitors?.
22-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
My personal opinion is that this rider is being used as a scape goat, also this rider was dealt with within the 30 min post race period deadline, long before the marshals made the complaint.
22-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

if they cant play by the rules then they shouldnt come over and put on their leathers!
these rules aint for their benefit its for ours-the marshals and medics trying to keep the course as safe as possible for everyone
22-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

I wonder if the post race period applies to 30mins after the winner has finished,or the last finisher?
He who dislikes the cat,is himself a longtail
22-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Hilary, the 30 minutes is 30 minutes after the race results have been declared.
22-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Thanks Jo,clarified for me
23-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
Question  RE: Unnamed rider fined over yellow flag incident
You cant change History can you, not that they wanted too Hehe
(This post was last modified: 23-06-2010, 11:40 AM by Malcolm.)
23-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

TT marshals: 'We will walk out if riders ignore flags'

ANGRY TT marshals are threatening a walkout at next year's races if riders ignore yellow warning flags.

The Auto-cycle Union has now confirmed one rider was fined for speeding past yellow warning flags during racing at this year's Isle of Man TT.

But it has refused to identify him or her.

Following last week's report, the TT Marshals' Association issued a statement. It reads: 'Some marshals have made it clear they are withdrawing their services as a marshal should this matter not be dealt with and others have suggested a walkout should they experience anything like it again.

'If the road races are to continue we must do everything we can to ensure we do not lose our valuable volunteers. The TTMA works hard and at some expense to recruit them and without them there will not be any races.'

A statement from the ACU, the body that oversees motorcycle sport in the UK, said an investigation was carried out after complaints by marshals.

All riders named – believed to be three – had been interviewed and in one instance the allegations were upheld. As a result one rider was fined £250 for ignoring signals.

An ACU spokesman said: 'As the organisers of the races, ACU Events considers that failure to respond appropriately to a yellow flag situation is an extremely serious offence and retains the right to disqualify a rider from a race or revoke his licence to compete if the situation is justified.

'The ACU Events Race Direction will not tolerate any instances, if proven, of riders acting in this manner.'

TT clerk of the course Eddie Nelson told iomtoday last week the ACU regulations permit a maximum fine of £500 in such circumstances but any retrospective time penalty was extremely unlikely.

All riders at the TT attend a pre-race briefing at which the TT Marshals' Association gives a demonstration of all the flags used at the TT.

In its statement, the TTMA said the purpose of this was to reinforce the importance of obeying the flag signals.

'It is therefore extremely worrying that some riders have been seen to not obey the yellow flag signals whilst approaching and riding through incidents. This is particularly dangerous as in many instances marshals are on the course dealing with the aftermath of such incidents.

'Some riders are not slowing down at all and some are actually accelerating long before the green flag is displayed which signifies the all-clear to continue at race speed.

'The TTMA considers this failing a very serious issue and one that needs to be addressed in the strongest possible way.'

But marshals say as yet they have had no official word confirming to them what action has been taken.

'Furthermore the TTMA would like to receive a response outlining any actions intended, so that they can report back to the marshals,' said the statement.

Riders who encounter a yellow flag displayed on the TT course should slow and must not overtake.

A waved yellow flag indicates a greater level of danger meaning riders should slow more and be prepared to stop if required.

They should continue to obey these restrictions which remain in place until they pass a green flag giving the all clear.
23-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
As reported on the IOMonline website

Meeting planned over TT marshals' flag wrangle

A meeting is being planned to address complaints by TT marshals about riders ignoring warning flags at this year's Isle of Man TT races.

Marshals have threatened a walk-out at next year's races after claims that some riders were ignoring yellow warning flags.

Responding to the criticism, some riders blamed inconsistent flag signals which they say encouraged riders not to respond.

Last week the Auto-Cycle Union confirmed one rider – which it has refused to name – was fined for speeding past yellow warning flags during this year's TT.

Read the complete report HERE
28-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Website Find Reply