Hill Needs To Bounce Back Under Kiyonari And Brookes Pressure
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hill Needs To Bounce Back Under Kiyonari And Brookes Pressure
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

Series leading Tommy Hill is under pressure from the HM Plant Honda riders Ryuichi Kiyonari and Josh Brookes going into this weekend’s sixth round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Knockhill.

The Worx Crescent Suzuki rider has seen his advantage in the title chase slashed to just four points after last Sunday’s races at Mallory Park where he had machine problems sidelining him in the opening race, and then taking a distant eighth place next time out.

Brookes, despite having to run second in each of the races to Kiyonari, closed in on Hill and is feeling confident that he can move into the overall lead in the standings with more strong results in the Scottish round.

Hill is determined to halt the progress of the Aussie and re-assert himself as the leader of the pack, commenting: “Racing has its ups and downs but at Knockhill I will be looking for a return to podium finishes and strong points. I am looking to rebuild my championship lead.”

It will not be easy for Hill as Brookes has good form at the circuit, having taken second and third placings in the corresponding round of last year, and the Aussie says he is up for more of the same, building on his recent rich vein of form.

I think that both Tommy and Stuart Easton will be back up there again for these races and I want to beat both of them when they are at their best and I think that will be the case at Knockhill,” explained Brookes.

“The second places at Mallory were good results for the championship but I want, and am racing for, wins to keep putting the pressure on Tommy – with two good results this weekend, we could be leading the championship for the first time,” added Brookes.

He faces his own in-team challenges with Kiyonari brimming with confidence after his brilliant winning double at Mallory Park, rides that really underlined his credentials for a third title success in the country’s premier series.

The Japanese rider is now up to fourth in the standings and is determined to continue where he left off last Sunday as he bids to improve his position further. “I want to carry the momentum of Mallory Park forwards in what I think will be two tough races.”

Kiyonari has twice before tasted the winner’s champagne at the Fife circuit, also taking another two podium finishes: “I like the track and I want two more wins there but I know that Josh will be pushing me hard and other riders will be fast.”

Among them will be the home favourite Stuart Easton riding the Swan Honda. Like Hill he has had a problematic time in the previous two rounds and is keen to get back on top form, and for the Hawick rider that means going one better than his second place of last season at Knockhill and scoring his first BSB victory on home soil.

Pushing them all will be the Laverty brothers, Michael riding Relentless Suzuki and John on the Buildbase Kawasaki, while Michael Rutter is strong on the RidersMotorcycles.com Ducati with Simon Andrews back to fitness and form on the MSS Colchester Kawasaki. And in a buoyant field, twice World Supersport title winner Andrew Pitt will be keen to make his mark riding for the Motorpoint Yamaha team.

Hudson Kennaugh, riding MAR Kawasaki, and Jentin BMW’s Steve Brogan are all set to continue their scrap for the Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO class crown.

For the record

Superbike lap record

Shane Byrne, Suzuki, 48.474secs, 94.41mph (2006)

Superbikes on track

Friday 2 July
10.40-11.25 and 15.00-15.45 Free practice

Saturday 3 July
10.15-11.00 Free practice
15.30-16.26 Swan Combi Roll for Pole

Sunday 4 July
09.15-09.30 Warm up practice
12.30 Race one – 30 laps
16.15 Race two – 30 laps

Superbikes on television - British Eurosport 2

Sunday 4 July

12.25-14.00 and 15.05-18.00 Live raceday

19.30-21.00 Highlights

Flashback – Sunday 5 July 2009

Race one – 33 laps
1 L Camier, Yamaha
2 S Easton, Honda
3 J Brookes, Honda

Race two – 30 laps
1 L Camier, Yamaha
2 J Brookes, Honda
3 J Ellison, Yamaha
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
30-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Website Find Reply