Scottish Pirelli Ace Previews Knockhill British Superbike Round
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Scottish Pirelli Ace Previews Knockhill British Superbike Round
As the British Superbike series makes its way over the border to Knockhill, Iain Duffus ex-TT winner and long-time employee of series sponsor Pirelli, previews his 'home' round event.

Iain originally from Edinburgh made a name for himself winning four Scottish Championships, going on to take victories on the Isle of Man TT, NW200 and Ulster GP.

Iain, who will be at Knockhill spending time with fans and dealers with Pirelli UK, said "I have so many great memories of Knockhill, I started my career there and in later years I won a few British Championship rounds when it was on live TV. The circuit is much improved than when I raced there, they've changed the radius of the corners to make it more flowing but it still keeps that unique character it's always had. Traction control has also helped as it used to be notorious for high-sides but so called rider aids have helped stop that so much.

It's still a tight and twisty circuit though and for some reason I think that seems to suit the Hondas. I think because they are so nimble and stable under braking and possibly as their traction control systems are well developed. At Mallory Kiyo and Brookes were really impressive so I think maybe they could be the guys again, although Tommy has been so good up to that point and I think Mallory was just a hiccup.

I'd like to see Easton back on song, he has all the Scottish fans behind him so this could be where he turns his season around. He lives near Carlisle but we still count him as one of our own!
Qualifying is so important at Knockhill as it can be a tricky place to overtake on a Superbike so I think Roll for Pole could be more frantic than usual.

Older fans may remember the great battles I had with Brian Morrison at Knockhill. We used to be massive rivals but we now run a team at Macau each year. We have just obtained the Riders BMW S1000RR that Rutter rode at Silverstone and the NW200, it should be great!"

The HM Plant duo of Ryuichi Kiyonari and Josh Brookes have found fantastic form taking the last four victories between them, closing the gap on Worx Suzuki Championship leader Tommy Hill, who has suffered some terrible luck in the corresponding races. Brookes now lays just four points behind Tommy who will be looking to bounce back at Knockhill. Martin Jessop won't be on the grid after breaking his leg badly at Mallory Park last weekend while his RidersMotorcycles.com Ducati team-mate Michael Rutter continued his fantastic form, now sitting fifth in the points standings.

Stuart Easton will be looking to restore some Scottish pride at his local track after a slump in results has seen him drop out of the crucial top six Title Fighters cut off grade which will determine the elite riders who will then battle for the BSB crown. Likewise his Swan Honda team-mate James Ellison is looking for a big points haul as he continues to recover from serious injuries sustained at Thruxton round two of the series.

The Scottish track is short but given it is the most 'one-sided' circuit on the calendar the right hand side of the tyre gets a brutal work out whilst the left remains relatively unscathed. Riders have to be careful therefore as they go through the left hand corners with effectively a 'cold' tyre.

Knockhill Flashback - Sunday 5 July 2009

Race one - 33 laps
1 L Camier, Yamaha
2 S Easton, Honda
3 J Brookes, Honda
Race two - 30 laps
1 L Camier, Yamaha
2 J Brookes, Honda
3 J Ellison, Yamaha

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Mallory Park:

1. Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) 154
2. Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 150
3. Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 133
4. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 128
5. Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) 114
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Website Find Reply