WORLD CHAMPION IN HYPERBARIC CHAMBER
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
WORLD CHAMPION IN HYPERBARIC CHAMBER
[Image: birchallhdr.jpg]

World Sidecar champion Ben Birchall has been using the “Heal the Rider” Isle of Man Hyperbaric chamber to assist the healing of his skin grafts and after just six sessions in the chamber has seen a vast improvement in his condition.

Hyperbaric chamber therapy delivers oxygen quickly, and in high concentrations, to injured areas systemically. The increased pressure changes the normal cellular respiration process and causes oxygen to dissolve in the plasma. This results in a substantial increase in tissue oxygenation.

Hyperbaric oxygen is beneficial because it stimulates the growth of new blood vessels, increases oxygenation that can arrest certain types of infections and enhances wound healing.

[Image: bendavedownie.jpg]
Ben with Dave Downie of the Hyperbaric Unit

He explained: “I successfully underwent skin graft surgery on my back last week and was discharged from hospital on the Saturday. I immediately went over to the Isle of Man where I began an intensive course of treatment in the Hyperbaric chamber. I had two sessions a day – six in all and the results are amazing. I could hardly walk when we started but now I am walking and able to sit in comfort.

“I returned to the hospital this week to have the staples removed from the operation site – 60 in all – and the consultant couldn’t believe how quickly the wound had healed.

“The Hyperbaric facility is fantastic and is only kept going with the help of donations from the public and the riders. I am so grateful to Dave Downie at the facility for his help and I would invite anyone who would like to help keep this facility on track make a donation.”

British Superbike star James Ellison's wife Sarah has launched a fundraising campaign called Heal The Rider which aims to help riders get the intensive treatment they require following big crashes like James experienced at Thruxton earlier this year.

Here is the link to the Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heal-the-R...nfo&ref=ts

As everything has gone so smoothly for Ben he will be able to join his brother Tom on the Mitchells of Mansfield supported LCR Yamaha R1as they continue the defence of the world crown at Sachsenring in Germany on July 18.

[Image: hyperbariclogo.jpg]
Visit Their Website - HERE
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 03:04 PM by Malcolm.)
10-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Website Find Reply