Crutchlow takes fourth career pole
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Crutchlow takes fourth career pole
[Image: worldsbkhdr.gif]

Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha Sterilgarda) saved his best for last to take a new track best and head up Superpole qualifying, his fourth pre-race 'win' of the 2010 season. Crutchlow was over 0.7 seconds faster than the next best rider, and in nine Superpoles this year, he has the best individual record. Behind him, Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia) was second at his favourite circuit on the calendar, as he prepares to go out tomorrow and defend a 37-point championship lead. A resurgent Jonathan Rea (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda) was a positive third, as he rebuilds from some less than satisfying recent results. Ruben Xaus (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) finished an impressive fourth, earning himself a front row start. He had crashed heavily here last year but today's result wiped out many memories of his 2009 misfortune.

Xaus's BMW being fourth means that there are four different machines on the front row, and with Sylvain Guintoli (Suzuki Alstare) and Luca Scassa (Supersonic Ducati) fifth and sixth restively, there are six different bikes in the top six grid slots. Scassa, a privateer, was top Ducati rider of any kind, with Ducati Xerox factory pilot Michel Fabrizio one place behind. Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati) will start from row two, taking eighth place as the last rider home in the final Superpole session. Lorenzo Lanzi (DFX Corse Ducati) just missed the final eight places of Superpole three, with James Toseland (Yamaha Sterilgarda) tenth. Max Neukirchner went 11th for Hannspree Ten Kate Honda and Tom Sykes ended a fruitful day 12th and on the third row for the Kawasaki Racing Team. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati Xerox) crashed in two Superpole sessions, and now starts from the fourth row; championship contender Leon Haslam (Suzuki Alstare) is only one place ahead of him.

[Image: brnospole.jpg]

Cal Crutchlow:

"I definitely hoped to be here and I'd rather give away a pole for a race win, but you've got to take them when you can. I enjoyed that, it was a good session for us. Most of the sessions have been strong and my Yamaha is working well. Max is hard to beat in the championship and especially round here. I can see a big battle tomorrow, maybe ten guys at least at the start. I thought I could have got into the 57s because I was riding very deep into the corners, and I actually had another qualifier left but I'm happy with that."

Max Biaggi:

"A first row result is good for me, but compared to last year's race we've got a lot more work to do this weekend. Something we changed on the bike makes it a bit different so it's not the same feeling. It's better in other tracks but here we've got some difficulties. It's getting a little bit better, the bike is not where I want, but I'm happy with my pace. We'll see tomorrow."

Jonathan Rea:

"It is hot out there, but there's a lot of breeze so it's not too bad. I actually didn't really know where to go after Superpole because I haven't been in the top 3 for some time. I'd just like to thank all of my team, our package isn't perfect but what we do have in the Ten Kate garage is a really hard work ethic and we're trying. Hopefully we can get away good tomorrow and try and stay with these two guys as long as we can. I've got nothing to lose!"

Ruben Xaus:

"First of all I'd like to give my best to Troy and hope he recovers as soon as possible because when two riders are on the team on fire, they go ahead. We did a good job today, the bike is now working well, we made a big step in Imola and physically I'm not feeling perfect but I was able to ride fast."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Website Find Reply