Guy Martin to sit out Superbike races at Ulster GP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin to sit out Superbike races at Ulster GP
[Image: bbcsport.gif]

Guy Martin is set to sit out the Superbike and Superstock events to concentrate on the two Supersport races at this week's Ulster Grand Prix.

Martin is still recovering from the injuries he sustained in a crash during the Senior TT and is having particular problems with his knees.

"I'll just go steady in practice, get a few laps in and see how I feel when I get out there," Martin told the BBC.

"I don't think I'm fit enough to ride the big bikes yet," he added.

The Lincolnshire rider had his first competitive outing since his crash in June at Brands Hatch at the weekend.

"I'm feeling fit and have been out riding a lot on the pushbike but I've been struggling with my knees and have been taking some painkillers."

Multiple Isle of Man TT winner Ian Hutchinson heads the entry list for this week's international event.

The Yorkshire rider, who secured a record five TT successes in June, will ride in the Superbike, Superstock and Supersport classes for Padgett's Honda.

Martin, if fit enough, Keith Amor, Cameron Donald, Gary Johnson, Ian Lougher and Bruce Anstey will provide strong competition.

Ryan Farquhar, William Dunlop, Michael Dunlop and Adrian Archibald should lead a strong Northern Ireland challenge.

Missing from the grid this year will be Morecambe rider John McGuinness because of a lack of suitable machinery and Dundrod lap record holder Conor Cummins, who is recovering from a major crash during the Senior TT.

Lougher has the most Grand Prix wins of any of the rider in the field with 14, followed by Farquhar and Martin with six victories apiece, Anstey and Archibald with four each, and William Dunlop with three.

Honda will pin their hopes on Hutchinson and Michael Dunlop in the two Superbike races, although Michael switches to the Street Sweep Yamaha for the Supersport events.

Lougher and Farquhar are Kawasaki-mounted while Relentless TAS duo Donald and Anstey fly the flag for Suzuki.

Falkirk rider Amor will campaign BMW and Honda machinery as he attempts to add to his maiden international road race win at the North West 200 in May.

William Dunlop will start as favourite for the 250cc race, but Ian Lougher, Chris Palmer and Michael Dunlop should make life difficult for him.

Farquhar should secure victory in the Supertwins.

Practice and race programme

Wednesday 11 August

Roads close from 1330 BST to 2130 BST for practice

Thursday 12 August

Roads close from 1030 BST to 2030 BST for practice and Dundrod 150 road races

Race 1 - Dundrod 150 National;
Race 2 - 125cc; 400cc/Supertwins;
Race 3 - Classic race;
Race 4 - Dundrod 150 Challenge;
Race 5 - Dundrod 150 Superbike race.

Saturday 14 August

Roads close from 0930 BST for Ulster Grand Prix

Race 1 - Superstock;
Race 2 - Supersport race one;
Race 3- 250cc/Supertwins;
Race 4 - Superbike race one;
Race 5 - Supersport race two;
Race 6 - Superbike race two
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
10-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Website Find Reply