Manx Motorcycle Club appoints two leading competitors as Rider Liaison Officers
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Manx Motorcycle Club appoints two leading competitors as Rider Liaison Officers
[Image: mmccgif.gif]

The Manx Motorcycle Club has appointed leading TT and Manx Grand Prix riders John Barton and Carolynn Sells as rider liaison officers for the Manx Grand Prix. Their role will involve acting as a liaison between the teams, riders and the race officials and promoters.

John, 40, made his mountain course debut in the 1988 MGP Classic Race and first competed in the TT in the 1989 125cc race. He scored two TT podium finishes - 2nd in 1997 Singles TT and 3rd in 2000 Singles TT - in his Isle of Man career. He set his fastest ever TT lap of 122.961mph, in the 2005 Senior race and finished a credible 11th place in the 2007 Superbike TT Race. He still competes every year in both the TT in the 600cc races and Manx Grand Prix Classic races and will be racing on a Suzuki GSXR in the 2010 Post Classic MGP Race.

A former British Superbike competitor, John was originally from Rochester, Kent but now lives in Crosby on the Isle of Man where he works as a Sports Physiotherapist.

Carolyn Sells made history by becoming the first woman to win in a race around the mountain course when she came home first in the ultra-lightweight event at the 2009 Manx Grand Prix. She first competed in the Manx Grand Prix in 2003 and raced every year since then, often alongside her brother Rob and father Dave, before retiring earlier this year. Originally from Preston, she now lives in Patrick on the Isle of Man.

The Manx Motorcycle Club has also appointed Mark Castle and Nigel John as ‘Newcomer Support Officers.’ The Newcomer Support Officers work closely with MGP newcomers, helping them to understand the course and race conditions.

Mark, from Rode Heath in Cheshire, first competed in the 2002 Manx Grand Prix and has won 7 silver replicas and had four top five finishes including two podiums. He has also worked closely with the Mike Hailwood Foundation on bringing newcomers to the Isle of Man, including Guy Martin.

Nigel John was introduced to competing on the Island by Mark Castle as part of his work with the Hailwood foundation and is now returning the favour by helping newcomers. He first competed in the 2005 Manx Grand Prix where he finished first Newcomer in the B class and 2nd in the Lightweight race.

Bill Bennett, Chairman of the Manx Motorcycle Club, commented:

“Both of the rider liaison officers live and work on the Isle of Man and have great knowledge of the mountain course while our Newcomer Support Officers also have extensive experience in racing over here. We are really pleased to have all of them on board and are looking forward to working with them.”

Geoff Corkish, MHK, MBE, the Political Member for Isle of Man Tourism commented:

“Attracting good calibre riders, particularly newcomers, is really important for the future growth and development of the Manx Grand Prix Festival and these appointments by the Manx Motorcycle Club will really help as we look to work closely with the club to develop and grow the event.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
16-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Website Find Reply