Maria Costello Becomes fastest woman at Ulster Grand Prix
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Maria Costello Becomes fastest woman at Ulster Grand Prix
[Image: mariaclogo.gif]

Maria Costello MBE put in a sterling performance to become the fastest woman to lap the fastest road race in the world, the Ulster Grand Prix.

The Northampton racer took the female lap record in the Around A Pound Supersport race at the McKinstry Ulster Grand Prix at the weekend when she lapped at an average speed of 114.328mph on her CMS Yamaha R6.

The former Isle of Man TT female lap record holder beat Anita Buxton’s previous record by almost two seconds when she took part in the Dundrod 150 & McKinstry Ulster Grand Prix for the first time on a Supersport 600 machine.

Costello’s decision to cross the Irish Sea was a last-minute one, and she was thrilled to claim a lap record that had stood since 2004.

“I’d not raced since the TT and it was a last-minute decision to go to the Ulster which was prompted by an email from clerk of the course Noel Johnston inviting me to attend,” said Costello, who will be signing copies of her autobiography, Queen Of Bikers, at the Northampton branch of Waterstones next month.

“I had a few laps at a Focused Events track-day at Oulton Park the afternoon before we caught the ferry. Mick Grant, the seven-times TT winner who is mentoring me at this year’s Manx Grand Prix helped me set up both my RVF and R6, which gave me added confidence at the UGP.

“The course is so fast. I really enjoyed it and I didn’t stop smiling all weekend. The weather really helped but hats off to the organisers for putting on a top event!”

Costello, awarded the MBE last November for her services to motorcycling, will be signing copies of her autobiography ‘Queen of Bikers’ at the Abington Street branch of Waterstones in Northampton on September 24 between noon and 2pm.

“I’m always grateful for the fantastic support I receive and would love to meet and chat to the people who have supported me throughout my career who can come along,” she added.

For further details about the book, please visit her website http://www.costelloracing.com.

Results:

34th in the Dundrod 150 Challenge race - lap speed 110.945 on CMS Yamaha R6.

21st in Combined 125/400/Supertwins race - 2nd 400 home - lap speed 102.742 on CMS Honda RVF400.

34th in Supersport Race 1 – lap speed 113.438 on CMS Yamaha R6.

26th in Supersport Race 2 – lap speed 114.328 on CMS Yamaha R6.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
18-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Website Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Maria Costello Becomes fastest woman at Ulster Grand Prix
I think she may have more to crow about if she had at least made the top twenty.
18-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Find Reply