Fans of Nostalgia Set for a Treat as Classic Race Collection Confirmed for Manx Grand
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Fans of Nostalgia Set for a Treat as Classic Race Collection Confirmed for Manx Grand
[Image: mgpfestivalsmall.gif]

Fans of Nostalgia Set for a Treat as Classic Race Collection Confirmed for Manx Grand Prix Festival Exhibition
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Sponsors Prestigious Display

The Department of Economic Development has arranged for a collection of rarely displayed classic race bikes to be on show in the Manx Grand Prix paddock, sponsored by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, as part of the 2010 Manx Grand Prix Festival.

The collection, owned by Steve Wheatman, includes some of the ‘Team Classic Suzuki’ Race bikes that compete in events around the world.

The bikes will be exhibited in a marquee at the heart of the MGP Festival Paddock, situated behind the main grandstand on Glencrutchery Road.

The free entry exhibition will include a number of bikes raced by Barry Sheene including his works XR27 that he rode in 1979, the XR35 that he raced in 1983 and the XR45 from his final year of racing in 1984. Bikes raced by legends such as Marco Lucchinelli, Randy Mamola, Franco Uncini and Valentino Rossi’s father Graziano will also be part of the exhibition.

The exhibition will also feature race bikes with an Isle of Man connection. Percy Tait’s 1976 RG500, Norman Brown’s 1982 Senior TT winning RG500 and Joey Dunlop’s 1987 Honda RS250 will all be on display.

The bikes have been restored and prepared by ex factory mechanics including Paul Boulton and Nigel Everett and many of them are in full running order ready to be raced in classic meetings.

[Image: sheenesuzuki.jpg]

Steve Wheatman commented:

“I want all the bikes to be running and available for people to see and listen to. This has to be so much better than the bikes just lying in cellars or garages hidden away.”

Although the collection is extensive, Steve Wheatman confesses to having a personal favourite. He commented:

“My favourite period was from 1976 until 1985 and my favourite bike is my 1983 Randy Mamola XR45 that he rode in South Africa and France that year. It's got those wonderful yellow HB Gallina colours.”

He also has a soft spot for Barry Sheene's 1983 XR35. He admits:

"The bikes he used in 1983 and 1984 were not those years factory machinery but old hand me downs. So we tracked the history of my 1983 Sheene XR35 and our XR35 was Randy's 1981 number 1 bike that won many GPs that year and the one that Randy finished second on in the World Championship. In 1982 the bike was used in GPs by Keith Huewen before being passed to Barry during 1983."

The exhibition is part of a packed schedule for the 2010 Manx Grand Prix Festival that includes the Manx Grand Prix Races, the Vintage Motorcycle Club Festival of Jurby and Classic Parade and the Manx Two Day and Classic Two Day trials Events.

The festival also features a number of exhibitions and music and arts events as well as bike club meetings and music.

Geoff Corkish MBE, MHK, the Political Member for Isle of Man Tourism commented:

“We think that this superb exhibition of classic race bikes will be of real interest to both our visitors and residents and we hope that many people will be able to come down to the paddock to see these history making bikes close up.”

He continued:

“We are very grateful for the assistance that the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company has provided in helping to make this display happen.”

Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Chief Executive Mark Woodward said,

“The Steam Packet Company has a long association with motorcycle racing on the Isle of Man. I am delighted that we have been able to continue this involvement by assisting with this comprehensive display of classic race bikes.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 19-08-2010, 02:47 PM by Malcolm.)
19-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Website Find Reply