INJURED HASLAM PODIUMS AT NURBURGRING WSBK
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
INJURED HASLAM PODIUMS AT NURBURGRING WSBK
[Image: teamsuzukihdr.jpg]

Leon Haslam defied the pain barrier in today's second Superbike World Championship race at the Nurburgring in Germany, taking a podium despite a dislocated right thumb and damaged knee ligaments.

The Team Suzuki Alstare rider crashed at the start of race one when he was highsided and it was fortunate that the race was red-flagged and he and the other fallers were able to make the restart. His bike was too badly damaged to take part in the restart, so he was forced to use his spare bike - one that he had only used for a handful of laps in practice and qualifying. The set-up and feel of the bike were different to that of his number one bike, but he rode superbly to take a very creditable sixth place. That was impressive enough, but in race two he surprised everybody with his grit, determination and fighting spirit to take third place.

Sylvain Guintoli qualified on the front row of the grid for the first time this season but the Frenchman was taken out by Troy Corser on the opening lap of race one and was forced into the gravel. He rejoined the action second last, but then fought his way up through the field to take eighth place.

In race two, he was unable to capitalise on his front-row grid slot and found himself in eighth at the end of the first lap. Once again, he powered his way through the pack and slotted in behind Biaggi in fifth.

[Image: nurburgringrace2.jpg]

Leon Haslam - Race 1: 6th, Race 2: 3rd:

"My crash in race one was a highside and I am sorry that it caused Troy to crash also. Luckily the race was stopped and everybody was able to have another go. I had hurt my right thumb and left knee and they were very sore, but I was determined to get out there and give my all. Once the race started, the adrenaline kicked in and I think I would've been much faster and more competitive if it had not been for the fact that I was on my number two bike. The mechanics weren't able to repair my number one bike in time for the restart. I had only done a few laps on the spare bike and so the set-up wasn't as good and it was that which prevented me challenging the front guys, not my injuries.

"The team repaired my number one bike in time for race two and I felt much happier. They and the Clinica Mobile staff did great jobs and it was thanks to both of them that I was able to get on the bike and take a podium. I'm sure I'm going to be pretty sore tonight and although I would've wanted a couple of wins today, I was happy to get on the podium and with 100 points possible in the next two rounds, anything can happen."

Sylvain Guintoli - Race 1: 8th, Race 2: 6th:

"Well I'm happy and not happy. I'm happy that I got on the front row in qualifying and that my race pace was good. If Troy had not have forced me out on lap one of the first race, the ending might've been a different story. Once I got back on the track, I felt I was lapping as fast as anybody really and I suppose eighth was a pretty good result, considering. I was angry with Troy because I honestly felt I could get on the podium.

"We changed the rear tyre for race two, but I didn't make a good start and that gave me a lot of work to do early on. It took me about half race distance to get close enough to Max Biaggi and I then spent the rest of the race trying to pass him. I could match him on the brakes and in the turns, but his bike had much better acceleration out of the corners and that's where I was losing out. I attacked as best I could, but he's a very experienced rider and didn't make any mistakes. It was a big pity because if I could've passed him, that would've helped Leon and I wanted to do it for him and the team."

Results:

Race 1:

1 Jonathan Rea (GBR-Honda), 2 Carlos Checa (ESP-Ducati), 3 Cal Crutchlow (GBR-Yamaha), 4 Max Biaggi (ITA-Aprilia), 5 Tom Sykes (GBR-Kawasaki), 6 Leon Haslam (GBR-Suzuki Alstare). 8 Sylvain Guintoli (FRA-Suzuki Alstare).

Race 2:

1 Haga (JPN-Ducati), 2 Rea, 3 Leon Haslam (GBR-Suzuki Alstare), 4 Crutchlow, 5 Biaggi, 6 Sylvain Guintoli (FRA-Suzuki Alstare).

1 Biaggi 397, 2 Leon Haslam (GBR-Suzuki Alstare) 339, 3 Rea 288, 4 Checa 224, 5 Crutchlow 217, 6 Haga 202. 8 Sylvain Guintoli (FRA-Suzuki Alstare) 169.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Website Find Reply