Michael Dunlop has six appeal for this year’s Isle of Man TT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop has six appeal for this year’s Isle of Man TT
[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

Northern Ireland’s Michael Dunlop will start from number six at this year’s Monster Energy Isle of Man TT as he challenges for a prestigious victory in the Superbike and Senior races.

Dunlop intends to take the fight to his Honda TT Legends team-mate and reigning premier class master John McGuinness in the blue riband races in June.

The 24-year-old has already tasted success in the Supersport and Superstock categories and will take his position on the Glencrutchery Road this year determined to make the most of his best chance yet to capture motorcycle road racing’s Holy Grail.

McGuinness – who has had a section of the legendary TT circuit on the approach to the top of the Barregarrow named in his honour – will carry the number three plate after two years setting off with a clear road ahead of him at number one, a privilege bestowed this year upon rising roads talent James Hillier on the Quattro Plant Kawasaki.

Australia’s Cameron Donald, last year’s Superbike TT runner-up, sets off at number two ahead of McGuinness, with Tyco Suzuki’s Guy Martin at four and Bruce Anstey retaining his familiar number five.

Dunlop, who claimed the third TT win of his career last year in the second Supersport event, told the News Letter: “To me it doesn’t really make that much difference where you start.

“All I know is that if someone catches you, then you’re beat.

“I’ll just get my head down and go for it. It’s a big year for me at Honda and we’re not going there to finish second,”
he added.

“John’s the man to beat and I’m going there to try and beat him.”

McGuinness, who previously rode with the number three plate in 2009, is targeting an incredible 20th victory on the Island this year – an achievement that would see the Morecambe star edge ever closer to Ulsterman Joey Dunlop’s all-time record of 26 Mountain wins.

The 40-year-old proved in 2012 that he remains as competitive as ever, winning the Dainese Superbike TT plus the Royal London 360 Superstock events to boost his tally.

Behind Michael Dunlop, Lincolnshire’s Gary Johnson starts as number seven followed by Honda TT Legends rider Michael Rutter (8), Dan Stewart on the SMT Honda at nine and Manx hero Conor Cummins keeping the number 10 plate on the Milwaukee Yamaha.

Ballymoney man William Dunlop lines up behind his Milwaukee Yamaha team-mate at 11, with Dan Kneen, Steve Mercer, Dean Harrison and veteran Ian Lougher at numbers 12-15.

Simon Andrews, who suffered a serious crash on the Honda TT Legends Fireblade in the Superbike TT in 2012, has been awarded the number 17 plate.

The top 20 numbers were decided based on a seeded selection process, with the remaining start numbers set to be determined by qualifying times during practice week.

Meanwhile, Sidecar TT icon Dave Molyneux and passenger Patrick Farrance will lead the field away after being confirmed as carrying the number one plate.

Molyneux has also had a part of the TT circuit named after him, with the fast right- hander at the end of the Cronk-y-Voddy straight now known as Molyneux’s.

The two Sure Sidecar races have attracted the biggest entry since the 2007 Centenary meeting Molyneux will be looking to add to the 16 wins he has at the course.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
10-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Website Find Reply