Revered race teams link up in glory quest at North West 200
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Revered race teams link up in glory quest at North West 200
[Image: nw200logo2013.jpg]

The iconic black and orange HM Plant Honda livery will rekindle memories of past glories at this year’s North West 200 after a new partnership with Clive Padgett’s ultra-successful race team was confirmed on Monday night.

Top road racers John McGuinness and Bruce Anstey will ride in the famous colours at the North West and Isle of Man TT following the deal between two of motorcycle racing’s most revered outfits.

Fans will see the new Honda machines, complete with the trademark rainbow stripes synonymous with the Padgetts Racing operation, in action for the first time during Tuesday morning’s opening practice session on the North Coast.

In the past, NW200 stars including McGuinness, Steve Plater and Michael Rutter have tasted success in the blue riband class on the HM Plant Hondas and 43-year-old Anstey is relishing the opportunity to challenge for honours in all classes at the international roads meetings.

Anstey, who has finished on the rostrum every year since he made a winning NW200 debut in 2002, will ride the HM Plant Honda by Padgett’s Motorcycles in the Superbike, Superstock and Supersport races.

[Image: mcpingansteynw2013.jpg]

Yesterday, the effervescent Kiwi joked: “It’s great to be back in black!”

Anstey added: “I think it suits me and it’s a good New Zealand colour with the All Blacks and all that. I have nine wins at the North West so it would be nice to make it a good even number this year and I definitely want a podium to keep my record going.”

McGuinness will ride the new-look machines in the Superstock and Supersport categories before switching to his Honda TT Legends Fireblade for the Superbike races.

The 41-year-old said: “HM Plant and Padgett’s are a dream team and I’m really looking forward to riding a black and orange bike again at the North West and the TT.”

Team manager Clive Padgett said the exciting collaboration had served as a ‘great boost’ and is optimistic McGuinness and Anstey can repay the faith shown by HM Plant Chairman John Jones by bagging some big results this season.

“We are, and always will be, a family operation, but carrying such a great name on the fairings will be a massive boost to the team and we can’t wait to go out there and repay John’s faith in us by achieving further sporting success for his company,” he said.

“My dad’s bikes raced at the North West in the Sixties and we have won here in every decade since - and we hope to continue doing that this year.”

Roads close for the first North West 200 practice session, Tuesday morning at 9.30am and are set to reopen no later than 2.30pm.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
14-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Website Find Reply