Advise on Barregarrow
Mike34 Offline

Threads: 4
Advise on Barregarrow
On one of the race days this year we would like to watch from Barregarrow.
We travel by bus.
Does anyone have some advise about watching here?
It looks there is not a lot of space for spectators and mostly packed.
Do we have to be there really early? Or better skip it, considering or travel limitation?

Thanks for your help
07-05-2024, 08:51 PM
Find Reply
ian333 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Advise on Barregarrow
You are only about 1.5 miles out of kirkmichael. Some buses run over the Glen Helen/Cronkyvoddy section but they tend to be closer to road closing times as best I understand. Either way, seeing the bikes come by for a split second albeit for quite a spectacle has never appealed to me. You would need to get there about 3-4 hours before roads close to get a decent view. Have walked past it a few times and there is not much room. You would be squeezed up against a fence the entire time.

My preference is to be close to the action, have a bit of space about me and can see the racers for more than a few seconds at a time. I marshal half the time but when spectating, I like the following;

Ballacraine - just up from corner on the outside of the circuit. Good vantage points always available 30 mins prior to roads close. Set them hammering toward you then trying to keep it under control hard on the anchors before throwing it into the corner. Access via field after road close. Refreshments available. Might have to pay for access through field after road close but I have never been charged.

Greaba castle - viewing available on outside of course on top of wall. Marshals let you sit on recrticel barriers prior to race. Never too crowded. Can see them coming through the left then flicking it right before drifting to outside of track and kissing the recticel barrier on exit. Access via heritage trail and a field after roads close.

Cronk Y Voddy. I much prefer at top of Lambfell / start of cronk y voddy straight. Can see them blast up Lambfell before flying past you and on along the straight. Plenty of room.

Start / finish on inside of course at bus stop. Decent viewing opportunity 2 hours prior. Get to see the build up which in my estimation is the most emotional raw experience of the entire TT (or of anything I have ever witnessed). Watching the riders go through their pre race rituals with their team / loved ones is almost too personal to watch. I just want them all to come back safely. Not the greatest vantage point once the race starts though watching them come past and disappear as they roar out sight while grabbing more gears heading down bray hill defies logic. You also see them come into pits and you are in the heart of the event with a great atmosphere. Plenty of access and refreshments upstairs in the gymnasium centre.
08-05-2024, 01:32 AM
Find Reply
Mike34 Offline

Thanks Ian,

Just what I was looking for. We will skip Barregarrow. It looks great on video but as it only gives you a decent view for a few seconds it might not be worth the effort considering there are a lot of other great vantage points.
The start/finish suggestion sounds appealing. We always avoided that because we thought it would be too crowdy had to be there a lot earlier than the two hours you are advising. The gymnasium center would that be Gymnasium AFC?

I always liked Ballagarey a lot. We had a friend living there so we could watch from his garden. Unfortunately, for us, he moved to Peel ;-) But that was some spot...
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2024, 08:33 AM by Mike34.)
08-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
The last years I've found a new favourite spot. Conker Fields. Some miles before Ramsey. Inside of the course. Toilets, food and a small fee to get in. Usually crowded. Be there a couple of hours before start. There are busses to come close.
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
08-05-2024, 08:34 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 14
Gardeners Lane area is accessible on closed roads with a little walk from the shops n food at Ramsey, seem to recall there's a bus stop in that area on the run down to Schoolhouse.
08-05-2024, 08:58 AM
Find Reply
Mike34 Offline

(08-05-2024, 08:34 AM)SILJA Wrote: The last years I've found a new favourite spot. Conker Fields. Some miles before Ramsey. Inside of the course. Toilets, food and a small fee to get in. Usually crowded. Be there a couple of hours before start. There are busses to come close.

Yes, that's great. Been there before and on our schedule for this year ;-)
08-05-2024, 11:10 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
(08-05-2024, 01:32 AM)ian333 Wrote: You are only about 1.5 miles out of kirkmichael. Some buses run over the Glen Helen/Cronkyvoddy section but they tend to be closer to road closing times as best I understand. Either way, seeing the bikes come by for a split second albeit for quite a spectacle has never appealed to me. You would need to get there about 3-4 hours before roads close to get a decent view. Have walked past it a few times and there is not much room. You would be squeezed up against a fence the entire time.

My preference is to be close to the action, have a bit of space about me and can see the racers for more than a few seconds at a time. I marshal half the time but when spectating, I like the following;

Ballacraine - just up from corner on the outside of the circuit. Good vantage points always available 30 mins prior to roads close. Set them hammering toward you then trying to keep it under control hard on the anchors before throwing it into the corner. Access via field after road close. Refreshments available. Might have to pay for access through field after road close but I have never been charged.

Greaba castle - viewing available on outside of course on top of wall. Marshals let you sit on recrticel barriers prior to race. Never too crowded. Can see them coming through the left then flicking it right before drifting to outside of track and kissing the recticel barrier on exit. Access via heritage trail and a field after roads close.

Cronk Y Voddy. I much prefer at top of Lambfell / start of cronk y voddy straight. Can see them blast up Lambfell before flying past you and on along the straight. Plenty of room.

Start / finish on inside of course at bus stop. Decent viewing opportunity 2 hours prior. Get to see the build up which in my estimation is the most emotional raw experience of the entire TT (or of anything I have ever witnessed). Watching the riders go through their pre race rituals with their team / loved ones is almost too personal to watch. I just want them all to come back safely. Not the greatest vantage point once the race starts though watching them come past and disappear as they roar out sight while grabbing more gears heading down bray hill defies logic. You also see them come into pits and you are in the heart of the event with a great atmosphere. Plenty of access and refreshments upstairs in the gymnasium centre.

Hi Ian

Is there anywhere close to Greeba Castle to park a car?  Getting a bit long in the tooth for long hikes with a load of camera gear!
08-05-2024, 11:58 AM
Website Find Reply
racer77 Offline

Threads: 1
Hi Sticky, there used to be a car park (locally run) at the "castle" itself, short work to Greeba Castle corner, but obviously you are stuck there until roads open
08-05-2024, 03:54 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 15
Barregarrow.... Watch at the crossroads on the inside of the course. Toilets at the campsite.

You'll need to bus to kirkmichael and walk back up.

Great view, watch them come in, apex and drop away.

Superbikes are truly breathtaking through there

=======================================================================
See you on the island
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2024, 10:24 PM by H2pots.)
08-05-2024, 10:24 PM
Find Reply