Irish Road Racers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Irish Road Racers
Perhaps those of you who still invest in MCN weekly might like to comment on the article in todays advert-packed edition concerning the "Irish Road Racers".........................

Chance of a stream here !!!
11-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Irish Road Racers
Can it be read on MCN WEBSITE?
11-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didn't think anyone bought that comic anymore?
11-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: MCN, TT, and Irish Road Racers
I get sent a "headline" via e-mail, which tells me "wot's in MCN this week" and I wondered if anyone had taken out a loan to purchase this old style paper.

I can't remember the last time we bought it, but we do have a quick look at it in "Pegasus" in Reading when we are updating his websites.

My other observation is whether MCN will cover the TT this year ?
Last years coverage was a disgrace.
However, we think we get more from the TT websites nowadays, as it happens, but it used to be nice to sit with a pint in either the Quarter Bridge pub or in the Hilton bar and read it from cover to cover in the days of Norrie Whyte.
Also the Radio TT gives up to date info if you have a radio.
I wonder how some of the fans keep up with the TT while they on the Island when they haven't got radios etc.....

We don't always have the lap top available to go into the websites so the written word is quite useful.

What other papers cover the TT as it happens ????

(here's a chance for someone to plug!)

11-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes good article but why the headlines ?
quote :

" competes in one of the worlds most dangerous races"
" two close friends have been killed"

highlighted in bold black writing.

Maybe i`m making too much of it, but you either get no proper coverage or its, full on doom n gloom. I just feel that it gives the anti-roadracing brigade more amunition.

Anyway, Good luck to Kenny, he sounds like quite a personality.

cheers,
Stella

11-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know Kenny and his girlfriend very well.
He is one of those racers who has enormous talent but little or no finacial help.
I think he was aproached in the Cookstown paddock about doing this article and I hope the publicity brings him some support.
I also know he has had an offer of a 750 for the Manx and is considering it.
By the way the article got one thing wrong I don't know anyone who calls him the "flying farmer"
We all call him the "chicken choker"
11-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Manx Independant gives great coverage of the TT and motor cycling in general, and they also publish TT news for race and practice periods.
11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes i hear what your saying cargo and i bet kenny never got to see what the end result was going to look like.

I just feel that its typical MCN, come nearer the time of the North West and TT they show some interest and will then tend to glorify or crucify depending on the outcome of the coming races.

Sorry if i sound like i`v a chip on my shoulder but we have had personal experience of the press and sadly have not a great deal of respect for them.For a long time the MCN has been more like the Daily S... or that big Orange thing in the sky that comes out in the summer !

All that said and done i still miss Norrie White with his tremendous enthusiasm and love of the sport whilst still telling it like it was.

cheers,
Stella
11-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Believe me when I tell you that I have very little regard for the press particulary those involved with motorcycle road racing.

11-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Cargo, re chicken choker!, we christened Kenny with that a few years ago , when having a banter with George McCann, but, he has now changed jobs, and now that he doesnt work for the poultry firm, thats why Chicken Choker is now on hold!
Still , it was good to see the lad get a bit of publicity, cos as you say, he is one of the backbones of the sport.
11-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes know what your saying Cargo.

Anyway I hope Kenny gets some help and support from the article as i`m sure that was his intention when he spoke to the reporter.

cheers,
Stella
11-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

BikeSportNews is Ok, and Norrie was writing for them when he died. I first met him in the early 70s, when we both contributed articles and photos voluntarily to The Scottish Clubman. For those of you who remember it, Freddie Stephen sadly died last year too.
11-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading all the comments about MCN, 25 YRS ago it was called THE COMIC, i was tempted to purchase todays issue 11/5 but will wait and read the article about Irish Racing on their website.
11-05-2005, 08:19 PM