REEL TO REAL HAILWOOD
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
REEL TO REAL HAILWOOD
I spent a while up in my loft over the weekend to try to find something associated with an article I am writing.

I found that which I was seeking but also came across a large reel-to-reel marked mtb-again".

I brought it downstaires and plonked it on my reel-to-reel and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a recording I had made in 1979 when Mike Hailwood and Ted MacCaulay launched "MIKE THE BIKE-AGAIN"

It was a recording from the steam radio (BBC I think) and Mike tells of his TT experiences and answers quite number of phone-ins,

A very interesting tape, nearly 30 years old !!

I also have a tape of Joeys race when he broke Mick Grants long-standing record from a standing start. (What year was that then ??)

Featured on the tape are of course Peter Kneale and Geoff Cannell....It was so nice hearing them again.......................................
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Joey broke that record in 1977 I think ?
12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 41

It was 1980. Joey had a TZ750 with an oversize tank and it came loose going down Bray on the first lap. He spent the rest of the race holding it on with his knees. Despite this he blew Grantie on the factory Honda away and took the lap record on the last lap. I can still hear an incredulous Peter Kneale saying: "Just what kind of a lap is this going to be for Joey Dunlop?" as his light came on at Signpost.

The answer was 115.22mph

I'm sure it was this display that made Honda sign him up although not before he'd been out on the Heron Suzuki a couple of times. I bet they wish they'd held onto him.
12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
sdd
Correct, I was in the Grandstand that year with a bunch of TT Virgins and we had all timed Joeys first lap and knew he had smashed the LR.
Dave Hiscock was off first, Geoff Johnson No2, Joey away No3, Charlie Williams was No5 (Tom) and Chas ended up touring, all dramatically reported by Peter Kneale.
Kevin Wrettom "borrowed" a spectators bike "complete with carrier" to return to the start after his race bike broke down and also people were walking down the road with crisps and Geoff Cannell stated" They wouldn't do that if they had been here last year (at Ballaugh) and saw Bill Smiths crash.

It's a great tape, recorded by me on a large portable T/R whilst in the grandstand so I have almost the full commentary but it is in "mono"....

I am now looking for more tapes from this era in the loft !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
13-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Website Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
reel to real hailwood
I have a dvd ,made from a cine film i took of MIKE,6 laps through balaspur,the master at work.1978.
PITLANE 07
13-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Find Reply