Isle of Man TT Races continues regeneration programme with new TV company
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
RE: Isle of Man TT Races continues regeneration programme with new TV company
Don

I never know with you if your comments are meant to provoke or are actually well meaning concern. Given that you are normally bereft of the facts on these matters, I can only presume the latter. Let me give you a few on this topic which will help you with your opinion forming.

We haven't made any announcements about TT TV placements yet, because we aren't quite ready to do so, however we have been gazumped today it would seem. However the perception that this is a bad news story confuses me.

With the BBC there was a one off highlights show, one week after the event, plus coverage on one of the BBC regions (i.e. not nationwide) on offer. The UK deal North One have been able to strike with ITV completely eclipses that in every way. The deal sees the TT placed on ITV1 a number of times, in a decent slot. The only other sport that ITV1 will show in 2009 that I am aware of is UEFA Champions League (I may be wrong on this but there certainly isn't much). ITV4 will show full same day highlights shows throughout the fortnight. ITV are also putting their marketing weight behind the event which has a massive value to us. This is great news for the Isle of Man TT Races.

Internationally we have some great deals in the offing too, in fact Don there is some good news for TT fans in your country to come. Really good in fact. It is fair to say that the TT will reach a much bigger audience in 2009 on television than it has ever done before and we will provide all the details in the New Year but we are talking about stand-alone TT programming here, not features as part of motorsport magazine shows etc.

Technically and programme wise, I think you can be excited also. 2009 will see the event covered in High Definition, there will be 50 per cent more course cameras and more behind-the-scenes coverage of the event and the riders, as well as a variety of innovations, including the use of CGI, high end graphics and special effects cameras. We have also made arrangements for on-board cameras to be placed on 10 of the first 15 machines in every race.

Going forward, there has been huge appetite from broadcasters for the TT as a live product which we hope to bring on line for 2010, hence the one year deal scenario for 2009 with ITV.

I hope this information helps you understand things a little more. I speak as a TT fan and not as someone who works on the event when I say the potential of the TT on TV is huge and it is a very exciting time despite the economic problems.

Happy Christmas or Bar Humbug which ever you preferYahoo

Night

Paul
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2008, 01:29 AM by Paul Phillips.)
24-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isle of Man TT Races continues regeneration programme with new TV company - by Paul Phillips - 24-12-2008, 01:18 AM