Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview...
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview...
I've never raced at the IOM but I have raced and I have hit a false neutral entering a corner at racing speeds and as above you basically have to stand the bike up and go straight on.  How Guy must have felt when alll of a sudden he was running out of road at those sort of speeds I can only imagine - it wasn't a case of losing the front and in an instant its all happening - this crash would have seemed like a lifetime.  So no wonder he's looking a bit phased - I bet it's replaying in his mind every time he sits down.

I'm guessing on those bikes its a change from 5th back to 4th - and there shouldn't be a neutral - maybe in an ancient gear box but not in the best factory kit.  So I'm not buying into the Steve Plater (ex and possibly still? Honda employee) saying possible rider error.  I'm also not buying the 'Guy's a crasher and should be banned' line - he's had a mechanical failure - its a racing incident - its not attributable to the rider.

I often wondered how many of the serious crashes at the TT are attributable to false neutrals.  I remember Phil MacCallen tipping off at Tower bends one year when he hit a false neutral on his 600.  Don't recall anyone suggesting that he should stop the TT.

Something Steve Plater did say was that it was a very different issue to the one McGuiness had - so reading between the lines there was an acknowledged fault that caused Johns NW crash. Anyone know anything?

The other issue raised is about Guys mountain license. Given the amount of testing Honda have been doing - I think it'd be fair to say that he will have done vastly more laps at race speed than required for the mountain license.  Suggesting that he shouldn't be out there is just being pedantic IMO - he's not the sort of holiday racer that it was implemented for. 

Anyhoo - its been a bit of a distraction from an otherwise entertaining race.  I watched the footage today - thought Hutchys bike looked like it was shaking its head a fair bit - maybe why he didn't dominate?  MD was really charging - he'd have walked it if he'd kept going I reckon.

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
05-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guy looked a bit shook up in that interview... - by Sam Pato - 05-06-2017, 11:49 AM