Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
RE: Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister
Macau doesn't need anything from the TT.  It's survived plenty long enough without it and the Formula 3 and WTCC races are more important to them than the bikes anyway.

I can't imagine the NW200 being part of this either (or the UGP) as the whole point is to get someone to pay the IOM and the DED will be looking for a venue that can bring commercial benefit to the Island.

I once pitched a question to John Shimmin on Stu Peters' show about TTxGP/TT Zero and whether the money spent was bringing any tangible return.

His answer was along the lines that it brought "reputational value" to the IOM, which I guess meant 'nothing'.  So, does the Island have the poltical talent to exploit this series?  I guess we'll need a Manx resident's opinion on that one.

On another matter, I'm of the opinion that one of the reasons the TT is strong at the moment is that there is no compunction for anyone to race there.  If it becomes part of a World series are we at risk of seeing another 'Gilberto Parlotti' scenario?

Bernie Ecclestone keeps popping up in the conversation.  I can't see it.  When you think of the kind of revenues he's dealing with in F1 a TT World Series would hardly pay for his evening dinner.  What I DO think is that people see what he's done and try to follow his business model - invariably with little or no success.  What the imitators generally don't have is the depth of knowledge he has.  I'm no fan of his but he's done it all in motor sport.  He's raced, managed drivers, ran the Brabham F1 team and of course, brokered the TV rights in the 1970s.

This is where I think this TT idea can't work - the world of motor sport is full of people (2 & 4 wheels) trying to emulate Bernie in trying to get people to pay them as rights holders and it's an increasingly crowded market.  You have to wonder how strong a brand the TT is in comparison to what others are trying to pitch. 
04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isle of Man TT world series plan remains viable, says minister - by sticky - 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM