Push Starts
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
Push Starts
Do you recall the days when most motorcycle races were push starts? My first foray into motorcycle racing was on an RD400 Yamaha production racer and production races were always clutch starts. When I entered open races with the RD which were push starts I was regularly first away as the Yamaha was so easy to start. I’m not a big man and after marriage and starting a family, I returned to racing on a big British single in the era when push starting was still the norm for classic racing. As you can imagine, race starts were no longer my strong point but, that was the way it had always been and I never thought anything of it. The only place where I regularly started well was the Mountain Course, probably because the Glencrutchery Road is slightly downhill from the start line and my machine would have a full fuel load, placing more weight on the rear wheel. My least favourite track for push starting was Oulton Park as the track is slightly uphill from the start line and my machine would have a lesser fuel load, placing less weight on the rear wheel. Did anyone else have experiences of the push start days?
01-12-2022, 10:39 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Push Starts - by bsa499 - 01-12-2022, 10:39 AM
RE: Push Starts - by Nasher - 01-12-2022, 12:10 PM
RE: Push Starts - by Alfie Noakes - 02-12-2022, 06:24 PM