Organisers
twostroker Offline
Banned

Threads: 3

I don't post very often, and I'm probably going to be shot down for this, but I think one of the problems is the attitude of some of the older generation towards those who might take up these roles.
When someone gets a new job, paid or voluntary, they take to it their own ideas. They are of their time and inevitably make changes.
The way that all change is slagged off, sometimes by people who do nothing for the sport and don't even go to the TT, must discourage younger people full off bright ideas to make it better.
They might get it wrong sometimes, but not everything that has been around a long time is good. Maybe it could be better.
However, if the afore mentioned critics don't like the change, they don't give it or the person a chance, and they don't look at the bigger picture to see if other people liked it. The TT is for riders of today and spectators of today. That should include older fans who have come for years and new ones who are looking for a different experience.
At what date should all progress stop? Do we want a 30s or 60s or 90s TT, fixed in time, repeated every year? Do we want the people of the Isle of Man to live with steadily deteriorating roads so the sacrosanct course remains the same? Do we want 1960s machines, or are we going to run new machinery on roads that don't keep up with their technological advance?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against tradition, but it wasn't tradituion when it started. Everything you now revere was once new and threatening to the luddites of the day.
Encourage younger volunteers by giving them the opportunity to put in their ideas. If you want it done as it always has been, you'll always have to do it yourself, and when you die, so will it.
Young Phillips has been demonised, and that's unfair. He's doing the best he can in the time and place he's in. The Centenary TT was brilliant, and if he can keep the momentum up, 2008 and onwards will also be great.
If people keep decrying all his efforts and never recognising his successes, how will other younger people feel about putting themselves forward.
Bring on the next generation, and help them understand how it was before, so they respect the past, and please give them some respect too. Some of the stuff said recently has not been respectful, and that reflects on you. Respect is only earned by giving respect where it is due.
Oh, and bring back twostrokes, because I am of that generation!
25-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by chris - 25-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Organisers - by DCLUCIE - 22-10-2007, 08:09 PM
[No subject] - by beepee - 22-10-2007, 08:26 PM
[No subject] - by Arthur Lawn - 22-10-2007, 08:30 PM
[No subject] - by larryd - 22-10-2007, 08:37 PM
[No subject] - by Don Simons - 24-10-2007, 03:38 PM
[No subject] - by thewitch - 24-10-2007, 03:53 PM
[No subject] - by twostroker - 25-10-2007, 02:16 PM