Proposed changes to the MGP programme
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme
andy kirk Wrote:
sticky Wrote:One of the biggest problems in boosting the classic grids is the number and timing of race meetings for classic machines. The CRMC are running a 7 event schedule this season. One of the meetings took place the week before the Manx and another one was the week after - you can see where the problem lies in that...

The Wirral 100 club have a well supported classic class but as their meetings tend to be based around the north west & Anglesey, that's a problem if you live in the south east!

All this means that getting enough rides in to qualify to race at the Manx is a major logistical headache, before you factor in the cost aspect. That's why I think the TT Course licence issue needs to be re-addressed and soon.

very good point sticky i,am no expert on the classic situation but i understand the problems a bit more if you soley ride classic machines. if this helps at all derby phoenix and other clubs run steel frame races and all the classic bikes would qualify under that banner and pretty sure alot of experienced classic riders would be a force to be reckoned with smilie

Andy, my 750 Seeley used to be raced at the Derby Phoenix and it was nowhere near competitive against the 600s 12 years ago with a better rider than me on it! This is a non-starter. I'm sure we've already all heard the one about the Manx classic top running rider who was forced to ride round at the back of club SS400 events to get his signatures. What does anybody learn from that? Nothing.

Really, there's no alternative for classic riders but to do classic events and as stated that has an impact in cost and the price/availability of parts. If you want to attract more classic riders to the Island you need to look at what is stopping them, not tell them "this is a fait accompli, like it or lump it" because right now they are lumping it.

The course licence was an ill-conceived kneejerk reaction to an unrelated set of events in 2005 - one (if that) might have been avoided and if the existing MMCC seeding and qualifying system had been enforced more strictly the rider concerned might not have been out on track anyway.

As has been said there are many motocross meetings that run under alternative governing bodies, AMCA and YMSA for example, because they were fed up with the ACU. Running the Manx under the MCUI or even creating a Manx Federation should remove outside influences.

Lastly it's all very well printing the entry list from a club race but how many of those guys have got national licences? How many have the time, money or inclination to do the Manx? Minitwins and the like are booming as well, would you simply put on a race for them because there are a lot of entries in UK club racing? The event needs spectator interest as well as rider support. Several people have said another "Japanese Four-Cylinder Road Bike" class isn't the way forward (as the TT are realising as well).

One thing about marketing, it's easier to keep customers than win new ones. Perhaps the ACU/MMCC should start to consider that.
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2008, 03:29 PM by Tomcat.)
20-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 08-09-2008, 09:11 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 17-09-2008, 02:39 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 17-09-2008, 10:37 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 18-09-2008, 01:42 PM