TT TV Contract
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
TT TV Contract
Hello all

I would like to try and answer a few of the questions being posed here if possible, but I must stress that I am not going to get involved in the argument with Colin or anyone else over this. I am just presenting a few facts and trying to clear up some of the grey areas that have been highlighted.

As part of an on-going process to improve the commercial revenues that the Isle of Man TT Races generates the DTL has reviewed all of the commercial contracts associated with the TT.

The Television contract, which has been in place for a number of years, was due for review ahead of the 2009 TT races as part of the Government requirement to ensure fair and proper practice in the awarding of all commercial contracts. The TT races television contract represents an excellent opportunity to promote the Isle of Man as well as the TT and the Department have to maximise the opportunity by working with the company that it believe's will deliver the best return. Any revenue generated by the TT races is invested back into the event, with a particular focus on safety.

All interested parties were invited to submit a tender document and the leading four companies were invited to present their ideas in person. There seems to be a belief that this process involved Greenlight and one other company. The reality is that there were four companies involved in the tender.

North One have been chosen because they presented the strongest tender to build the TT into a world class sports brand. Their presentation demonstrated the best understanding of how the event can grow and also how both the TT races and the Isle of Man can benefit from comprehensive, global TV coverage, helping ultimately to attract more visitors and investment to the island.

As a company North One are one of Europe’s biggest and most respected production companies with a wide range of programming across sport, factual and general entertainment. As part of All3Media Group North One has a reputation for high end live sport productions including award winning work for Formula One on ITV and as global host broadcaster for the World Rally Championship.

The DTL believe that North One will create programming opportunities globally that will appeal to a broader reach of Sports fans, not just those interested in road racing. In order to attract the kind of revenue required the TT must deliver a greater return on investment to the Isle of Man.

The DTL believe that North One’s proposals will deliver greater experience to the ‘armchair’ fans, who hopefully will be persuaded to visit the island in the future. The experience for ‘on island’ fans will improve as ideas are being looked at to show footage from around the course at key spectator points. That is a long term vision and may not be possible for 2009.

North One as a company has excellent links with ITV and will negotiate with them to show the TT in 2009 and beyond. The contract will also open up other exciting opportunities with television companies worldwide.

Greenlight TV have done an excellent job in providing TT footage to TV stations around the world and the DTL Minister has already gone on record to thank them for all their hard work.

Live television has been mentioned several times here. There was no requirement in the tender for essential live coverage, but as with any pitch for work you look for innovation. There is a possibility that a live broadcast may become a reality in the future, but it will be a professionally managed, time delay broadcast that will not compromise the reputation of the event. There is enormous value in live sports broadcasts, and the TT is in the minority for world class sporting events by not being shown live.

With regards to fans filming their own footage and putting it on You-tube, you will find that this is in fact encouraged. Check out North Ones WRC channel on You-tube for more. One development that will be realised is lots more multimedia functionality available via the web for free to fans.

With regards to the MGP and Southern 100, the DTL will be working with the organisers of both events to maximise all promotional opportunities for their events. Speaking personally I have had meetings with representatives from both events in the last day. A highlights DVD or similar will always depend on the market for such a product of course.

I hope this clears up some of the questions, but no doubt there will be countless more. As I'm sure you can understand I'm not on line 24/7 so it's not always possible to provide instant answers to questions posted by TT fans.

Best wishes

Paul
11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
TT TV Contract - by Paul Phillips - 11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
RE: TT TV Contract - by Malcolm - 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
RE: TT TV Contract - by FC - 11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
RE: TT TV Contract - by David Griffiths - 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM
RE: TT TV Contract - by DCLUCIE - 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
RE: TT TV Contract - by FC - 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
RE: TT TV Contract - by CH1 - 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM