King Kiyo reigns in opening race
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
King Kiyo reigns in opening race
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

HM Plant Honda's Ryuichi Kiyonari has moved within ten points of championship leader Tommy Hill after securing his fifth win of the season ahead of tomorrow's title-deciding two races at Oulton Park after fending off the challenges from his Worx Crescent Suzuki rival.

James Ellison got off to a flying start ahead of championship leader Hill, Michael Laverty and Kiyonari as the Title Fighters barged for the positions into Old Hall for the first time; Kiyonari wasn't going to remain there long though and he edged ahead of Laverty at Island for the first time.

Kiyonari then had his sights set on Hill and on the next lap he made a repeat pass from the lap earlier showing his confidence to move second on the leading HM Plant Honda. The former double champion then had Ellison ahead and on the fifth lap he moved down the inside on the brakes into Hizzys chicane to take the lead.

Hill wasn't prepared to settle for third and shadowed the Swan Honda before a lunge down the inside into Lodge on the eleventh lap put him second and he then set about closing the marginal gap to Kiyonari. The pair were inseparable for the final laps and Hill was looking for a way to move to the lead, but Kiyonari defended hard and crossed the line ahead to move second in the championship standings.

[Image: kiyo1oulton.jpg]

Kiyonari said:

"I tried to get a bigger gap as I would have been happier then, but it wasn't easy and the other riders were fast too. It was a hard race and I had to fight hard for the win for sure. It is great to get the points on Tommy and move second but we still have tomorrow. It is not easy to win but if I can have two more tomorrow then I can be champion. The two races tomorrow will probably be the toughest races of the season."

Ellison ended the race third as Michael Laverty maintained his fourth place despite the best efforts of Title Fighter rival Josh Brookes who had to battle his way through from eleventh on the opening lap to fifth. The Australian now lies ten points behind his team-mate ahead of the all-important double-header tomorrow afternoon. He had passed and fended off the challenge from Tommy Bridewell in sixth who remained ahead of Stuart Easton in seventh on the second Swan Honda.

Gary Mason gave the MSS Colchester Kawasaki team a top eight finish to hold the position from John Laverty whilst Loris Baz made a last lap move on Simon Andrews for tenth.

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, race one result:

Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda)
Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki)+0.821s
James Ellison (Swan Honda) +5.707s
Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +8.459s
Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +14.627s
Tommy Bridewell (Tyco Quay Garage Honda) +15.001s
Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +16.839s
Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +20.109s
John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +28.032s
Loris Baz (Motorpoint Yamaha) +32.829s

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Oulton Park race one:

Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) 609
Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 599
Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 589
Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 583
Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) 546
Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 530

Don't miss the final two races of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Oulton Park tomorrow (10 October) - the Showdown decider.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
09-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Website Find Reply