Blackhorse Kawasaki - 2010 Season Review Part 1
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Blackhorse Kawasaki - 2010 Season Review Part 1
[Image: blackhorsekawasaki.gif]

Blackhorse Kawasaki enjoyed a very satisfying 2010 season both on the roads, and on the short circuits as part of the British Superbike scene.

In the first of three installments we look at how the team got off to a great start in the Metzeler National Superstock 1000 Championship with Conor Cummins only for things to change at the conlusion of the Isle of Man TT races.

At the 2010 season launch the team was named as Kawasaki's official Superstock entry, with team boss Ian Lougher earmarked for the major roads events such as the TT, North West 200, Ulster GP and Oliver's Mount, using both Ninja ZX-6R and ZX-10R machinery in Superbike, Superstock and Supersport classes. Two other riders came on board with Manx riders Conor Cummins and David Pearce competing under Lougher's experienced and watchful eye in the National Superstock 1000 and 600 classes respectively with the Welshman relishing the chance to further increase his experience of team management.

The team enjoyed a very successful four-day test in Cartagena with Lougher also testing at Albecete a week later in preparation for the new season which got underway at Brands Hatch on Easter Monday, where Cummins took the Ninja ZX-10R to a great fourth place as Pearce suffered a massive highside exiting the fast Clearways section whilst lying in 10th position during second qualifying with the young rider sustaining severe bruising to his back. Undaunted, David went out in the shoot-out race to determine final grid places and battled his way to 21st and posting very good lap times in the process.

It was the same again from Cummins at the next round at Thruxton as another fourth place moved him up to third in the championship, however he unfortunately crashed out at Oulton Park two weeks later where young Pearce's form was a big encouragement to team boss Lougher who himself prepared for the forthcoming first big international road race of the season, the North-West 200. With one eye on the Isle of Man TT in a fortnight's time and in what was his first competitive outing of the season, Ian scored a top ten finish in the Superstock race. It was then back to the BSB scene for the team and Round 4 at Cadwell Park where Cummins got back into Championship contention when he finished in 6th place, moving back into fifth place in the title race as Lougher prepared for the Isle of Man TT races where both Conor's and the team's season was about to take a dramatic turn.....

TT race week got off to a fine start as Lougher took seventh in the traditional opening Superbike race with the Blackhorse Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R the highest placed Kawasaki in the race. Ian then finished 12th in the first Supersport race on Monday morning and he followed this up with another excellent 7th in the Superstock race later in the day. It was 14th for Lougher in the Supersport event on the re-scheduled Thursday and he then completed his Isle of Man TT with an excellent fourth place finish in the Blue Riband Senior TT event. However on the second lap of the race Conor Cummins, riding for another team on the island, crashed out at high speed at the Verandah on the second lap and was airlifted to hospital with arm, back and leg injuries which would ultimately end his season.

Ian Lougher:

"Overall I was pleased with my performances during the 2010 TT races. The racing has become so competitive and to be in the top ten in three of the races is no mean feat. To finish fourth in the Senior TT was a very pleasing result which was overshadowed somewhat by Conor's crash on the second lap."

Part Two to follow......
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Website Find Reply